Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

how can i learn gymnastic floor exercises?

itaman

Daniel Burnham

Find a good gymnasric coach in your area. This is the only safe way to learn tumbling. If you mean floor strength skills then foundation and the exercises mentioned on this site are your best bet.

• Upvote 1

Definitely join a gymnastic class. A coach really gives you good pointers that you wouldn't pick up otherwise. Also much safer training due to the mats etc.

All of the tumbling up to handsprings and saltos (flips) can sort of be learned on your own but you will probably learn faster with a set of eyes and a spotter and coach to give you feedback.

http://drillsandskills.com/articles/

Basically start with Handstands and headstands, forward rolls, cartwheels, and backward rolls and limbers. You're not very likely to fracture your neck with these skills (though you will fall and even aerials pose some danger to the elbow and fingers).

Do not try to teach yourself a round-off if you want to develop it to the point of it being useful for advanced tumbling.

• Upvote 1

What the hell? You've gotten a lot of help here already. If you still want to do it on your own go to the link Blairbob gave you click on the floor link and basic skills. Start there. If you want a well structured routine for free.. that's not gonna happen. Also i don't know if there are some pdf's or other tutorials by gimnasts for these kinda things but there's a million tutorials from enthusiasts (even some gymnasts, i bet. You just have to search for it) on youtube which are still okay

Edited by WadeWilson
  • Upvote 1

Look for gymnastics facilities. If you get lucky one might have an adult class you can start attending. It may be far away but its worth it for learning. That's how I got started tumbling. No experience when I started and a few weeks ago I got my first round off back tuck.

• Upvote 1

Douglas Wadle

I feel for you, man.  I live in a small town, and there's nowhere near me that has gymnastics, let alone adult gymnastics.  It's the price we pay for living in a remote area.  I think you focus on strength and mobilitty, and work on non-technical floor exercises like front roll, back roll, cartwheel.  Maybe try some floreio exercises, and then just work horizontally from there.  gradually do harder or different front rolls, harder and different back rolls. etc.  You will become knowledgable of your body's abilities, it will give you body/position awareness, and it will improve your work capacity, strength, and mobility.  Then if the opportunity arises in the future to learn more technical aspects you will be ready.  In the meantime, you will be healthy.  

I know that coach is the best option but i don't have any gymnastic coach in my area..

What can I do?

Whilst you are looking for a coach, you can do some exercises that can help with tumbling. Handstand development, leg strength to improve vertical jump (I like to steal some ideas from basketball weight training programmes), calf strength development for rebounds, shoulder flexibility and splits (especially for your hips).

I suggest making shoulder flexibility a priority because without it, its hard or not possible to do handsprings. Bridges, dislocates, hanging, German hanging.

No experience when I started and a few weeks ago I got my first round off back tuck.

Damn, I can't even do a freaking cartwheel with straight legs and no piking..

• Upvote 1

Damn, I can't even do a freaking cartwheel with straight legs and no piking..

When I first started I was the same way. With good coaching and lots of practice anything is possible. 

When I first started I was the same way. With good coaching and lots of practice anything is possible. 

Offtopic: Do you have any easy cues/tips?

naornaor12345

Whilst you are looking for a coach, you can do some exercises that can help with tumbling. Handstand development, leg strength to improve vertical jump (I like to steal some ideas from basketball weight training programmes), calf strength development for rebounds, shoulder flexibility and splits (especially for your hips).

I suggest making shoulder flexibility a priority because without it, its hard or not possible to do handsprings. Bridges, dislocates, hanging, German hanging.

I do the foundation and handstand, so I think that is enough work for at least begin with the tumbling.

And sorry for my english...

sorry, it's my brother's account

Edited by naornaor12345