Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Introduction and where to begin

Lennart Nilsen

Lennart Nilsen

Hello fellow strength trainers! My name is Lennart, and I live in Norway. At the moment I'm 28 years old.

I have been interested in GST since buying a set of rings in 2010 (if memory serves). I've done six months of weekly gymnastics classes, but quit because of a lack of structure.

I have a straddle back lever, adv tuck front lever, a handful of headstand pushups (wall), and can hold a tuck planche and a free hs for about 10-15 seconds. I struggle a lot with rto dips. I can't even do a muscle-up yet.

My (long term) goals are probably quite common; ring hspu, planche press hs, manna, cross, maltese, victorian.

I'm wondering where to start (or rather continue) my journey. Should I still begin with F1 and H1 regardless of my experience?

Aside from sporadically training gymnastics progressions nearly every day, I also do bouldering one day per week, and would need to tailor my training around that.

Kate Abernethy

Yes, start with F1 and H1 - get a strong foundation for your goals and to improve the bouldering. The program is structured and systematic, you put in the quality hard work.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Lennart Nilsen

Thanks for the response! I'm just wondering what exactly I will be able to do after mastering all steps in F1.

As I have understood it, the "end goal" of H1 is a two-minute free handstand, but the product description of F1 is a little less clear as to how far you will have progressed in the Front Lever, Straddle Planche, Side Lever, Manna, Single Leg Squat, Hollow Back Press and Rope Climb, when you are ready for F2 (or any of the other levels).

Of course I believe in building a strong foundation, but it would be irritating to spend money on this if I've already mastered half of the skills taught in this section.

Thanks for the response! I'm just wondering what exactly I will be able to do after mastering all steps in F1.

As I have understood it, the "end goal" of H1 is a two-minute free handstand, but the product description of F1 is a little less clear as to how far you will have progressed in the Front Lever, Straddle Planche, Side Lever, Manna, Single Leg Squat, Hollow Back Press and Rope Climb, when you are ready for F2 (or any of the other levels).

By the time you finish Foundation one you will have mastered some of the exercises that lead up to being able to do Front Lever, Straddle Planche, Side Lever, Manna, Single Leg Squat, Hollow Back Press, and Rope Climb

By the end of the Foundation course you will have developed all of the strength your body needs to do a Front Lever, Straddle Planche, Side Lever, Manna, Single Leg Squat, Hollow Back Press, and Rope Climb according to the standards of Coach Sommer.

With all of your current gymnastic training experience in mind you more than likely will be able to master some of Foundation one and will more than likely have trouble with other areas of the course.

• Like 1

Kate Abernethy

Of course I believe in building a strong foundation, but it would be irritating to spend money on this if I've already mastered half of the skills taught in this section.

There's a 30-day money back guarantee. So you can test yourself and see if you pass F1 straightaway.