Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Increase in Strength but not in Size or in Abilities

iwSTI

Hi, I'm 20 years old, 5' 11", and I've been into gymnastics training for about three years now. I also started lifting weights pretty regularly around two years ago. I put on around 25 to 30 pounds of muscle in the course of the first year of my weight training, and that seemed to set my gymnastics training back a little, more than likely because my body had to adjust to its "new form". Anyway!

Now onto my point/question: What I've noticed is that gymnastics has really helped with my strength, but I'm not getting any bigger from it. Note that I am NOT doing gymnastics for aesthetic reasons, but the huge biceps and almost balloon-like shoulders that are typical for a lot of male gymnasts (mainly those who specialize on rings) do not seem to be even remotely in sight based on the gymnastics training I've undergone thus far.

Here's a basic rundown of some of my ring abilities: I have a solid back lever (20 second hold with no problem), solid ring handstand (no forearms touching straps/rings or feet touching wrapped around straps), seven second straddle planche on rings (straight arms, little to no piking, and good protraction), and I'm fairly close to an iron cross.

All that said, anyone else with a similar experience as me? I'm more than happy with the way I look, but after three years of training consistently, I'm surprised that I'm not as big as some of my friends who lift weights regularly or even some of my other gymnastics friends.

I don't mean to be vain or anything, but this site is called "Gymnasticbodies", after all... So I just wanted to see if any others experienced a lack of "aesthetic progress".

Thanks!

Coach Sommer

Video of the skills mentioned and an outline of your GST training is necessary in order to give you accurate feedback.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Hey, judging off of your avatar, it seems like your form is in good shape...

If I remember correctly, someone asked a pretty similar question last year. lean guy who could do straddle planches, HSPU's, etc but was confused why his body wouldn't grow. Coach Sommer himself responded, saying that people who are born with short muscle bellies and long tendons tend to stay lean but can get very strong. Some other moderators also explained that it can be b/c of not eating enough to grow.