Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just wanted some feedback on my cross (close) > front lever > Back Lever....

kageryu07

I know my form starts to break after cross because it's so muscularly taxing on me still. But other than losing hollow body and RTO support on the ascent(forgot to). Any other feedback?

Iron cross (almost) Front Lever Back

Lever.:

DiTi, yeah my form starts to crash because I was trying to stop in the cross instead of just ecentric cross. Focusing on too much at once lol. But I'll be more conscious of my elbows next time.

RJS, it's OK lol, I just didn't think of what to do next after the cross so I just jumped into another move to work the movement I'll crispin it up after I get more comfortable on the cross.

What Iron cross? "Almost Iron Cross" is just another "Cross pull." If you can't maintain your false grip or complete a strict ring muscle up with a false grip you shouldn't be doing cross pulls.

Your feet were blocking the camera view during your front lever and you didn't even hold back lever.

Rayne, true about the cross pull. I didn't look at it like that because the depth was near horizontal and I stayed there for a sec or two(hence the almost). About the false grip... I don't use false grip. That was a regular grip. It's not straining or anything grip wise just high intensity. For a regular grip was the grip fine? Is there some technique flaw there minus losing elbow lockout on the concentric? Next week I'll post each skill independently with emphasis on form instead of pushing progress.

What Iron cross? "Almost Iron Cross" is just another "Cross pull." If you can't maintain your false grip or complete a strict ring muscle up with a false grip you shouldn't be doing cross pulls.

Your feet were blocking the camera view during your front lever and you didn't even hold back lever.

No need to bash the guy...? He's just trying to get some critique on his form, and I'm sure he can easily do an fg muscleup easily. The rings were so close to the ground, what for waste energy when trying to go for a strength skill?

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

The approach of the iron cross here is wrong: from the starting position to the final position to the pull back on support.

I really suggest a few steps back to master the bases of straight arms rings strength and loo, over rings courses  if your idea is achieve SA skills . It's easy to see from the video a lack on technical preparation. Technical issue reflects the level of physical preparation.

• Upvote 2

No need to bash the guy...? He is just trying to get some critiques on his form and I'm sure he can easily do a false grip muscle up. The rings were so close to the ground, what for waste energy when trying to go for a strength skill?

Bash? He asked for a critique and that is what I gave him. I just didn't sugar coat it first.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
Ryan Hutchins

To put the icing on....

You are a strong guy. You remind me of myself and lots of other people finding this site. Lots of strength, lots of goals, and lots of excitement to get there. My advice is to go back to the beginning preparation for FL and BL. Everyone is going to say buy Foundation which is the right move. But not everyone can afford that. There are plenty of progressions on this site for those skills. As i found out the hard way being strong isn't enough. Your body has to be prepared, refined, and dedicated to taking the hard road. As far as the Cross is concerned there has been enough advice on that topic. Like this:

The requirement is for the press handstand to be performed on the rings with the elbows locked and the rings turned out. Accomplishing this prequisite is necessary to adequately prepare the brachialis for the rigors of the more advanced ring strength elements to come. Depending upon the individual, continuing on thru planche prior to implementing iron cross work may or may not be necessary.

Be very careful with how you approach iron cross training. Recommendations of let's build intensity AND volume AND explosiveness simultaneously :roll:, coupled with admonitions to "push through the pain" are the result of developmental nearsightedness and inexperience coupled with a fundamental misunderstanding of how to develop high level ring strength and will often result in long term chronic injuries. Everyone gets excited whenever a new short cut is being promoted, however after over 40 years of high level gymnastics, I can assure you that there are no "short cuts" - only "right cuts" if you'll forgive the play on words.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

If you want to really go down the road to strong positions held with confidence and body awareness then i can help you. If you want to short cut all that then you may not get the results you want in the timeframe that you want them. This is just advice.... In the end do what you feel is best. I stopped cross training to work on my ring planche and ring Press HS.

Front Levers and Back Levers just need some fine tuning by making flatter body (no hip piking). BL needs to be retrained in supinated hand position.

Hard to tell how much elbow bend but probably just a refocus of completely straight elbows not letting them bend one little bit and going from there.

Colin Macdonald

While a proper iron cross is with locked arms... don't lock your arms. If you haven't trained proper straight arm progressions and suddenly try to lock out on something like an iron cross your elbows will just fucking explode.

You need to step back to a move where you can safely practice proper straight arm moves and work back up from there.