Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

L-Sit Press to Handstand - Sticking Point

Knuspernogger

Hi guys,

I am 42 and doing bodyweight exercises/calisthenics since around a year.

Currently I have some questions particularly about my L-sit press to handstand.

Please see the photo underneath my username (I was not able to upload it to the media library).

I am kind of stuck in this position and cannot manage to get the hips any higher, i.e. rotate the torso from horizontal to vertical.

Can you please help me out - what should I do from the depicted position:

1. Try to compress more or straighten the legs?
-> Then I should probably work on my compression and active flexibility.

2. Try to consciously push up the straight arms towards the head?
-> I tried this already, but it doesn't help.

3. Simply try to lean forward more?

4. Maybe I should try to tuck the chin and or try to push the shoulders closer to the ears?
-> I tried tucking the chin already, but it seems this makes the posture weaker.

5. Or is it simply a lack of strength?
-> If yes, which muscles should I work on? The rear deltoids?

Is there any other trick to overcome this sticking point?

Thanks a lot for your hints!
Rainer

PS:
From the depicted position onwards, will it get exponentially more difficult the higher I lift (like the manna), or have I managed the most difficult part already :-) ?

Daniel Burnham

You are leaning... You need to get the hips over the head and the shoulders open. Instead you are closing shoulder angle and moving the torso forward. Usually this is lack of strength in the shoulders. You also should work on compression to make it easier.

Thanks, Daniel.

Ok, this means leaning more will not be the solution.

I will try to strengthen the shoulders by:

- doing this same lifting movement ofter and with repetitions

- doing other resistance exercises which lift the arms overhead (mimicking the movement in question)

Do you have any more suggestions for this particular improvement?

When you say "compression" it is the same as "active flexibility"?

Starting from L-sit on the ground I try to lift the hips as high as possible with still keeping the legs parallel to the ground. This means I am increasing the clearance between floor and the legs. Which forces me to actively compress.

I am doing 3sets x 10 reps twice per week (in addition to the regular workout).

The other exercise that comes to my mind is sitting with straight legs on the floor, reaching forward and putting the hands on the floor beneath the ankles. Then I lift the straight legs some centimeters and for some reps.

Does this all sound ok to you?

Cheers

Rainer

PS: Is this yourself doing manna in your picture??

Daniel Burnham

Yes. Active compression. There are a ton of exercises in the handstand series that help with this.

I also recommend doing negatives from a handstand while keeping the shoulders open and locked until you start bringing the feet through. This essentially means you need a pike press with little lean before starting this skill.

Daniel Burnham

An yes that is s picture of me. Learned it from coach sommer :). Which is why I so highly recommend the handstand curriculum and foundation series he has.

• Upvote 1

If you have the cash and want to save some frustrating time, do what Daniel says get H2. I whish that course had been out when I started. Would have saved a lot of time.

Another option is to search for Handbalancers posts here on the Forum. He put out lots of good info.

Knuspernogger, have you tried straddle-l to handstand? I would train that first, and then move to L-sit press HS.

Split the movement in 2: Straddle-L to stand, and Straddle Press to HS, and then put it together.

Knuspernogger

Thanks guys, your hints help a lot!

E.g. I thought leaning is good, while it is quite the opposite...

In essence, it seems I simply need to gain some strength.

I am also working on my compression more than before.

@Flavio:

You are right, I am splitting the movement.

Press to HS: I am trying the straddle version as well for, but somehow it feels better for me keeping the feet together than straddled. This is the smaller problem.

Straddle L to Stand: In no way I currently can pull the legs straight through underneath me when I start from the L sit having the hands on the ground. Of course it is closer when I use parallettes. This is my problem (I am currently not able to get the hips higher than the shoulder level).

Some days ago I started to do negatives from the wall handstand (unfortunately I also have to improve my free handstand...).

This teaches me how it should feel like and I get used to activating the right muscles.

@Daniel:

How long did it take you to get to the manna? Of course it depends on where you start, but just to get an idea...

I will crack on...

Rainer