Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fluoroquinolones / Quinolones and tendons

Eric Kamhi

Did not know where else to post this.

Anyone have experience with these antibiotics?  I'm reading up on them and it seems they do have a pretty detrimental effect on tendons.

I usually do not suffer much from side effects but over the last year and a half, I was prescribed these twice, and both times, had pain creep up on me on my weaker tendons around the treatment.

Last time I was prescribed I tried to resist to prescription but was kind of told that nothing else would be as effective as these in order to treat the illness.   

Doing what we do here which puts so much strain on our tendons, I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with this.  Is it just me that turns out to actually suffer from side effects of something for the first time?

Daniel Burnham

There are known cases of achilles tears which were probably caused by these antibiotics. Best is to back off during and a little after taking these.

And also be sure that you need them. Often doctors will prescribe antibiotics as a way to perform the differential diagnosis. I usually request vital tests if they are available.

In the end you should take them if need then to get well. No use being very sick and risking complications to save your workout.

Douglas Wadle

The only reason you should need to take fluoroquinolones as a young healthy person would be if you develop pneumonia, epididymitis, prostatitis, or some other fairly resistant infections.  There are almost always other options for treatment.  For young active people i always avoid these antibiotics.  i feel the risks are actually higher than usually quoted.  Also, keep in mind many doctors treat infections with antibiotics that don't usually need treatment with antibiotics (sinus infections, middle ear infections, non strep sore throat, etc.). If you do end up needing a FQ antibiotic, i would definitely train really easily during and for a couple weeks after the course is complete.  Avoid any plyometric or reactive strength work.

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...
Brendan Lewis

I was given these last year for pneumonia. The very next week I developed a bad case of epicondyle tendinitis in both elbows. I was just prescribed them again for a sinus infection and after the first dose I could feel all my old tendon injuries (elbows and infraspinatus) sore and painful during workouts and rest alike in a way that I haven't felt since last years elbow disaster. This all could be coincidence, priming, or some other cognitive bias, but annexdotally I find these medications extremely sketchy and would strongly advise against them.

• Upvote 1