Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

heavy imbalance between pulling and pushing strength.... help.........

mish1992

hello guys i have been a competitive swimmer for very long now but i have recently stopped swimming. maybe from all my swim training and some strength training i developed a good level of vertical pulling strength. at 76-77 kg bodyweight i could do a 53 kg extra weight attached chin up from full dead hang. i can do rope climbs easy. but recently i tried to do the headstand push up and surprisingly  found out that i couldn't do even one of them with a hollow back.another interesting thing is that i can do negatives for full rom(on a 18 inch elevated box) handstand push ups and i can iso hold any position without much difficulty during the descent.but i can't seem to press back up, not even from the headstand without arching. how the heck did i develop such a huge imbalance between my vertical pull and push ? and i how can i build my headstand/handstand push up strength ?????? any help will be much appriciated .... and thanx in advance.........

Alexander Egebak

You can buy the foundation programs which will help you fix your imbalances.

Or you can try your luck with your own program, which should progress from easier to harder pressing variations. More specific advice can be given according to the sticky.

The handstand pushup is a pretty complex move, with incorrect form the "pushing up" phase can take much much much more effort. I've found that keeping my core tight and thinking about opening my shoulders to get up makes it easier than trying to vertically push my way up. As for building more strength, wall hspu's is a definite exercise to try. Hope that helps.

@somebigbear
umm thanx but i was actually talking about the wall supported headstand push ups. i can't press out of even that (not without horribly arching and its much difficult to do with arms shoulder width apart) . what do i do ? box headstand push ups and headstand and handstand push up negatives ?? how should i manage the volume and frequency ?

• 4 weeks later...

I would pile up books/magazines or something similar under your head and gradually increase the range of motion by taking away a magazine every week or whenever you're capable. Eventually your head will reach the floor and then you can start elevating your hands on books and push up with head on floor and hands elevated. Obviously make sure they aren't likely to slide.
Negatives are a good way to build up strength too by lowering yourself as slowly as you can or buy foundation :)