Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question about planche leans

Groundshaker

What muscles are engaged in this exercise and what does it actually strengthen?

While doing them I feel kinda shaky and after doing them I only feel pain in my elbow and wrists.

Edited by Groundshaker

What muscles are engaged in this exercise and what does it actually strengthen?

While doing them I feel kinda shaky and after doing them I only feel pain in my elbow and wrists.

If you feel pain in your elbow and wrist it's because you're not ready for that exercise, try to step back in order to avoid get injury.

• Upvote 2

Léo Aïtoulha

Planche leans mainly engage anterior deltoids, triceps and pecs. You should not train through the pain. Purchasing both F1 & H1 would be very useful to avoid such joints issues.

If you feel pain in your elbow and wrist it's because you're not ready for that exercise, try to step back in order to avoid get injury.

I only feel the pain briefly for about 10 seconds after doing the move because my wrists are at such a wierd angle.

What should the step back from this exercise be? Isn't the planche lean most basic exercise?

Never felt worse pain than this :) . Dont do it if it hurts.

It doesnt hurt at all when my hands are rotated 180 degrees., but it feels like the lean is not as controlled.

I do them with my hands starting in push up position and then rotatated by 45 degrees. What is your hand placement?

Alexander Egebak

I only feel the pain briefly for about 10 seconds after doing the move because my wrists are at such a wierd angle.

What should the step back from this exercise be? Isn't the planche lean most basic exercise?

Without giving too much away try easier variations. Like a planche lean without leaning with the arms or even with bent arm position - still with full protraction.

It doesnt hurt at all when my hands are rotated 180 degrees., but it feels like the lean is not as controlled.

I do them with my hands starting in push up position and then rotatated by 45 degrees. What is your hand placement?

Lean is not controled becouse you cant balance with your fingers, also i think that you can lean less when your fingers are turned back. Do it where you can hold max. protraction and where you dont feel any pain.

I mostly do my planche leans with fingers turned back, it is most comfortable to me. :D

Planche leans mainly engage anterior deltoids, triceps and pecs. You should not train through the pain. Purchasing both F1 & H1 would be very useful to avoid such joints issues.

You forgot to mention: Serratus anterior muscles, lats, middle trapezius, abdominals. Plus the bicep tendons.

Without giving too much away try easier variations. Like a planche lean without leaning with the arms or even with bent arm position - still with full protraction.

That would be a plank.

• Upvote 1

Colin Macdonald

You forgot to mention: Serratus anterior muscles, lats, middle trapezius, abdominals. Plus the bicep tendons.

And your quads, calves, glutes and lower back if you're extending through your toes properly while maintaining the hollow position. So basically... everything.  :P

• Upvote 1

Alexander Egebak

That would be a plank.

Oh yeah, really? I was making fun with those hints.

• 4 weeks later...
Vytautas Pilkauskas

Hey, here's one more question:

Where should I place my palms? Is placing right over the hips is more beneficial than slightly in front of them? I noticed that when I do planche leans, my stength allows to lean only until my palms are slightly in front of the hips, not directly over them. Near obliques to be more precise. Now while I try my best to maintain scapula protracted and depresed I can hold it only for 2-3 seconds and my form would break. Should I try to keep on improving this position or is it better to adjust lean to where I am more comfortable protracting and depressing scapula and maintaining a lean for at least double the time I can do now?

Colin Macdonald

Should I try to keep on improving this position or is it better to adjust lean to where I am more comfortable protracting and depressing scapula and maintaining a lean for at least double the time I can do now?

I'd go for a longer hold time with a bit less lean. Two seconds is barely a hold at all.

• Upvote 1