Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stall Bars; Wood or Steel rungs?

David Rioux

Stefan Borovina

Thank you for your comments everyone!  Leo, after some Instagram stalking I think I saw your stall bars.  They look great.  Jared, do you have nay pictures of your set?I think wood is out of the question because I have no faith that they will not break.  Kai, I saw you what mean by the flanges.  They are way too expensive.  I now need to either find myself a welder or figure out another way to make these steel rungs work.  Again, if anyone out there has made this work without welding I would love to hear about it!

Petri Widsten

At 91 kg there are many exercises I don't dare do on wooden rungs. I got mine off AliBaba. The frame and rungs are all steel welded together. They are free-standing and you need to first lay concrete pillars for the legs (unless you already have thick good-quality concrete on the ground). You then drill holes in the concrete for the bolts. The metal legs already have drilled holes and it comes with bolts but they weren't galvanised and maybe a bit short so I got my own. I set it up in the garden.

@Daniel Taylor-Shaut that's way too big a generalization I'd argue. Every school gym in Germany (and in other places in Europe I hear) has wood stall bars, as do all gymnastics facilities anywhere, and you rarely if ever see rungs missing. Rungs breaking on my homemade one is due to compromising on the material used. Even in the gym where Coach filmed the original Foundation footage, there was only the occasional rung missing on the bars ;)

• Upvote 2

Stefan Borovina

I would love to have wood rungs but I just don't trust them.  I either have to go with metal rungs or find a replacement for stall bars!  @Petri Widsten i saw a few types of metal stall bars on alibaba but it looks lik eyou need to roder a minimum of 10.  What was your experience with alibaba?

Petri Widsten
5 hours ago, Stefan Borovina said:

I would love to have wood rungs but I just don't trust them.  I either have to go with metal rungs or find a replacement for stall bars!  @Petri Widsten i saw a few types of metal stall bars on alibaba but it looks lik eyou need to roder a minimum of 10.  What was your experience with alibaba?

Stefan, you can ask whether they will sell just one even if they specify a higher minimum quantity. I didn't have any issues buying mine but if you do that be prepared for freight costs and import duties that easily double the costs.

Jared Birbeck

I haven't had any problems with rotating in the 12 months I have had them. but I did try and make the fit fairly tight to begin with and used glue and liquid nails to set them in place. No problems with inverted stretches, hands move around the bar rather than trying to make the bar move to my position.

not the best pic I have taken. I couldn't do it as high as standard bars due to the ceiling height so the offset at the top is made from the off cut of the uprights. 

20161124_061826.jpg

Personally speaking, I built my stahl bars from oak. I used oak, instead of the softer woods like pine, to simulate the overall stiffness of metal and also have the grip texture of wood.

• Upvote 2