Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Victorian Work: Necessary or Waste of Time?

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer

My recommendation is that victorian work should, at least occasionally, be included in everyone's ring strength training to balance the development of the shoulder girdle - even if it is obvious they will never be close to a victorian.

First, let me state that a solid front lever is absolutely essential for success with a victorian. Both of my athletes that are the furthest along on the victorian have enormously strong front levers. One does front lever pulls easily with a 25lb plate handing on his ankles. Even with 25lbs, he makes these look ridiculously easy and my suspicion is that he will be using 35lbs in the very near future.

A video of front lever pulls is available here:

For beginners, my preference is that they gain initial exposure to the demands of this movement by simply including some victorian leans in their ring strength sequence. Essentially these are no more than leaning back from a support position and then returning back upright.

For advanced athletes, at the end of a hard set of malteses or planches, I will handspot my athletes through two or three victorians. A victorian is exceedingly simple to execute, but incredibly painful due to the tremendous cramping of the triceps and rear delts. From a support position lean back, keeping the body tight and locked. The knuckles should be turned forward. You should also remember to focus on keeping the chest open and elbows straight. Sliding to a false grip as you lean back will be immensely helpful.

The two athletes with somewhat more advanced victorians, prefer to begin their victorian work from a front lever and then pull up to the victorian :shock:. They can actually partially lift themselves up from the front lever to the victorian on their own, although they require a handspot to reach the full victorian position.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ricky Dawson

Front lever pull to Victorian..!!

Mindblowing..

I hope someone in the future will be able to do this!! Just thinking about it makes my triceps hurt.. :lol:

Ricky

• 3 weeks later...
John Sapinoso

hard to tell if it was legit credit because the camera angle

but either way that was at most borderline credit because of hold times

still amazing nonetheless.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Valentin

Coach.. would you be able to post a vid of you athletes doing front lever pull to Victorian (inc the spot) that would be just wicked to see. I have wondered if that combination would ever makes its presence, the victoria has, so i am optimistic.

WOW that vid was sweet (aside from the fall). Thanks for sharing it.

Have to agree the hold times are questionable, 3 secs is creditable, but its close to call (i am leaning more towards not paying). I could understand if 1 judge paid it and another didn't. However that being said he is doing 2 in his routine...so he is definitely getting stronger, it looked probably a little flatter then previous routines i have seen, which is cool (shocker camera angle, even in the slow mo...hate when that happens). Once again optimistic that Danny would the first to hold a true Victorian..

That being said..anyone know why its called a Victorian cross?

Coach Sommer

There are a variety of more basic issues that I would like to address in the videos prior to posting examples of more advanced ring strength elements and series. Perhaps in the future, I will post a hand spotted version of the front lever pull to victorian.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• 2 months later...

First, let me state that a solid front lever is absolutely essential for success with a victorian. Both of my athletes that are the furthest along on the victorian have enormously strong front levers. One does front lever pulls easily with a 25lb plate handing on his ankles. Even with 25lbs, he makes these look ridiculously easy and my suspicion is that he will be using 35lbs in the very near future.

The two athletes with somewhat more advanced victorians, prefer to begin their victorian work from a front lever and then pull up to the victorian :shock:. They can actually partially lift themselves up from the front lever to the victorian on their own, although they require a handspot to reach the full victorian position.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I don't think that front lever with big weights is necessary for victorian. Beacuse at front lever triceps don't do much (almost nothing), and for sholders- you are almost at the hang position, there is not enough work for sholders. but i agree it's good for abs and position on hips. But usualy the problem with hips position is not in abs, but in weak triceps (with lover hips is less stress on triceps) and sholders (shorter distance between sholders and feet).

For me is easyer from swing like rodrigez...

And it helps if you turn your elbows up (for me).