Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tendonitis question

Ivan Pavlovic

Ivan Pavlovic

I never had any joint pain from gst so i guess i never had tendinitis to.

So how tendinitis fells like and in which positions should i fell it ?

Thanks !

Edited by Paf

you can get tendonitis in any tendon so it depends about which tendon your talking about,if you have tendonitis than you feel pain while moving that joint 

Ivan Pavlovic

you can get tendonitis in any tendon so it depends about which tendon your talking about,if you have tendonitis than you feel pain while moving that joint 

I never had any tendon pain since i started with gst.

Does it hurts every time when you move your hand or leg ?

Not always. It can not hurt at all until you use the tendon under load. It will generally hurt more when cold, and can almost seem to go away when warm, at least in the early stages.

Why are you asking this question? - for information, or because you have a pain and you're not sure why it is, or are  you asking for a friend?

David McManamon

Joint pain of any kind typically means back off immediately, tendinitis and any joint injury will likely take a long time to heal.  Ask any athlete with tendinitis about the pain they chose to ignore and then the resulting lost workouts for months to come.

• Upvote 1

Ivan Pavlovic

Thanks guys!

Why are you asking this question? - for information, or because you have a pain and you're not sure why it is, or are  you asking for a friend?

Im asking for information, i want to know when and how it feels so when i get it i can be sure that it is tendinitis. :)

Edited by Paf

Nigel Leeming

It is very difficult to describe a pain in a manner that will help you understand it when you get it. It is also hard to differentiate between tendinitis and many other pains, for example muscle tears or arthritis.

All you can really do is wait until it happens, and then check if it's a common location for tendinitis (achilles heel, inner/outer elbow - golfers & tennis elbow - either side of the knee, groin etc). Usually tendinitis comes and doesn't go for months, but muscle tears can do the same. The only give away is that it hurts near your bone joints. Sometimes it hurts & prevents you from doing something, sometimes carrying on and waiting for it to go away is all you can do.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
Ivan Pavlovic

So i was doing pullups today and i felt easy pain in my outer elbow (triceps connection to bone). It hurts when my elbows are flexed at 90 degress in pullup. In push exercises i dont feel anything. :blink: There is also no inflammation so im not sure what it is.

Is inflammation necessary in tendonitis ?

Edited by Paf

The suffix 'itis' means inflammation so by definition there will always be inflammation with tendinitis. 

Tendinosis however, is a state of damaged tendons without active inflammation. Remember that inflammation is a process of healing and so is a good thing, so long as the process is allowed to complete. Tendons that have taken some wear, never fully healed and have perhaps had this process repeated can end up causing pain, weakness and reduced function without inflammation and has been termed tendinosis.

I must add, if you think 'when I get it' then you will get it! If you follow the programme,  do your deload weeks, always warm up thoroughly, and are not stupid enough to ignore pain and work through it, you'll very likely not ever experience it

• Upvote 1

Tendonitis will hurt when the tendon is put under load as Cole said above, so if you contract the muscle with enough force it will hurt, even if the joint it lies close to does not move. For example, clenching the fist will cause pain in medial epicondylitis (golfers elbow/forearm flexor tendonitis) or lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow/forearm extensor tendontis) even if the elbow remains stationery. 

A joint in an inflammed state will usually hurt when placed under load and can even hurt when moved passively through its range of motion (usually exhibiting a reduced range of motion).

In the case of tendonitis, if a false insertion is created this can greatly reduce and sometimes eliminate the pain felt when the tendon in question is placed under load. For example, tennis/golfers elbow can be tested for by squeezing strongly around the forearm with a hand placed below (distal/toward the hand) the pain and then asking the person to clench strongly. Now the muscles have another external anchor point to create tension from and so less pain is felt on the inflammed portion of tendon. Not so easy to explain with words but it does make sennse :D

All that to say, there are ways to distinguish between various painful conditions. You just need to know your anatomy  :)

• Upvote 2

Ivan Pavlovic

Thanks Wes Tan.

By the way, if in tendinosis is no iflammation then i guess it should last longer than tendonitis ?