Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Straight arm plank versus plank on forearms

Farid Mirkhani

Farid Mirkhani

I have been under the impression that straight arm plank are harder than planks on forearm, but in my honest opinion I find planks on forearm much harder. I do both with scapular protraction and PPT. Does this apply to you guys as well?

Also, the same thing with reverse plank. Doing reverse plank on your forearms with scapular retraction and pressing your hips (with PPT) high enough so you can't see your toes is also much harder than straight arm reverse plank with same scapular retraction and PPT hips high.

What do you guys say?

forearm planks puts bigger emphasis on core, less on scapula.  straight arm planks puts bigger emphasis on scapula, less on core

Jonathan Pettit

Planks are often used or viewed as ab exercises.  In this case the forearm version is harder, because the body is closer to perpendicular and needs to work harder to fight gravity.  If you view planks in regards to scapular protraction, this is where the straight arm version becomes more difficult.  I don't completely know why, likely due to longer lever or less stability.  I do know that I can hold a forearm plank for several minutes without any real discomfort, whereas a straight-arm plank gets quite uncomfortable after 90sec or so.

Basically, if your abs are the weak link, then forearm is harder.  

You can certainly combine the effects of both by elevatng your feet to shoulder level using a chair or someting, and do the straight arm version. This gets difficult to hold pretty quickly, at least initially. 

Forearm supported and straight arm plank helps prepare your body for planche leans.

Try planche leans if straight arm plank is too easy.

Jake Lawrance

If you have read some of Bret Contreras recent research you'll know that there is an even harder version of the plank!

On forearms and PPT, but this time bring your forearms further out in front of you, BAM! It's basically a static but super effective roll out.

Other than that, yeah I agree that on forearms it is harder..  :P

If you have read some of Bret Contreras recent research you'll know that there is an even harder version of the plank!

On forearms and PPT, but this time bring your forearms further out in front of you, BAM! It's basically a static but super effective roll out.

Other than that, yeah I agree that on forearms it is harder..  :P

An even harder variation of that would with straight arms with fingertips or hands on floor instead of with forearms. You can also do one arm out and one leg out too to further increase difficulty.

If you have read some of Bret Contreras recent research you'll know that there is an even harder version of the plank! ... On forearms and PPT, but this time bring your forearms further out in front of you, BAM! It's basically a static but super effective roll out ...

True, however the position would no longer be a plank; but rather a long hollow variation.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2