Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Headstand skull pain?

Samuel Carr

Samuel Carr

So ive been starting handstand press training, and im at the part of pressing up from headstands, while against a wall. The only problem is that as soon as i kick into it, my head starts to hurt and face turns very red (blood rush). And when i go down on my head at the end of each rep, the top of my skull hurts from the pressure against the floor. How do i fix this?

Your skull is too soft for this movement... you are going to die if you continue.

Lol just kidding. I've been doing headstands for a while and the top of my head still kinda hurts when I do it on hard floor. try using a cushion from the couch or some kind of pad under your head.

it takes time for your skull to adjust to that pressure. that and carpet at home isn't as soft as a sprung floor with foam and carpet on top of it.

Do normal headstands cause any sort of pain? If so then your head just needs to get used to supporting more weight. If normal headstands do not cause any pain then you are doing the exercise wrong. When you begin pressing the legs for a headstand your hips actually go a bit behind your head and if you are too close to the wall your hips will hit the wall and create some weird pressure on your head. I only teach this to my advanced yoga students and I have a pre requisite of a 60 s hold in the middle of the room. I start my students about 6 in from the wall, the wall is not there to help, just a safety blanket as you create much more power coming up and it can be hard to hold for some people. Also there is more than one balance point on the head, if you have then neck strength you can balance anywhere from the crown of the head to your forehead.

Andrew