Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm a beginner and I need you guys to help me

Giselle Joy Dingcong

Giselle Joy Dingcong

Hello there guys I'm from Philippines, so I'm sorry if some of my grammar is wrong.

Ok, so I'm new here... in this kind of field. I'm really interested in gymnastics since this last two months and I really want to learn it. It amazed me to see people how physically fit they are and it inspires me a lot.

I'm 16 yrs old and quite chubby I weigh 57kgs. I'm not that flexible enough and I can't do handstand(I feel that my shoulders are poor :( ), and I'm now training myself to do the splits and  push-ups.

I'm asking for your advices guys to help me reach my goal to have strength, balance and flexibility. I want to know what is your diet, how/what do you exercise and how many times in a week, and how long is the progress.

I'll be very glad with your advices for sure. Thanks a lot guys.

Coach Sommer's Foundations one (F1) course ( https://zp130.infusionsoft.com/app/storeFront/showProductDetail?productId=2 ) is exactly what you need, To start building some basic strength and confidence, It's written by a man who has trained US national champions.

If you can afford it, then the H1 course would also be good, but F1 is the priority.

• Upvote 2

Without getting into total number of sets and repetitions, the people following the foundation series end up doing a lot of  push ups, dips, pull ups, rows, squats, hamstring curls, leg extensions, hanging leg lifts, and exercises that develop the shoulder muscles.

My personal eating lifestyle revolves solely around fruits, nuts, and vegetables.

I personally complete a workout five days a week. With some days having two separate workouts. Other than the four foundation workouts that I do,  yoga and jumping rope are regular supplementary workouts.

Progress varies between individuals. Generally speaking a single workout could take as little as 20 minutes and as long as an hour. 

• Upvote 2

I train very productively 4x a week using the Foundation and Handstand courses. I supplement with some whey concentrate powder, but this really isn't necessary if you are able to eat well. Plenty has been written on diet in the Nutrition forum.

Getting started on F1 is the best way I know of to get started on getting strong from the ground up.

If the courses are currently a no-go, there is a fair bit of information on the forum if you get to reading :)

• Upvote 1

Jason Yamada-Hanff

Welcome! Like others have said, F1 will be great fit for you. GB courses take all the guesswork out of putting together a strength training program that has the focus you want.

One thing GB doesn't provide explicitly is nutrition and cardiovascular fitness guidance, both of which will be important for your health and how you feel in the long run. That said, starting up a routine with F1 first and then adding on cardio and nutrition improvements later will be just fine and guards against getting overloaded by changing everything all at once.

A good starting place for nutrition is at Harvard's School of Public Health website: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource . It does a pretty good job at covering controversies and giving solid middle-of-the-road advice. To build strength, you should be eating a little more protein than is usually recommended for the "average person". Counting calories for a while is a good exercise in becoming aware of what you are putting in your body. If you are trying to lose weight, you'll be tempted to heavily restrict calories, but remember that you can go too far with this--your workouts need food.

For cardio, the standard recommendation around here is 20-30 minutes of light intensity cardio 2-3 times a week. Here's a popular running program for beginners: http://www.c25k.com/ , but you can do whatever cardio you like. Your heart will thank you.

You asked about how long it would it take to progress. The good news is that you are young so your body will likely adapt faster than us older folks. But the truth is that the GB community tends to de-emphasize *fast* results for the sake of *quality* and *safe* results. This is my favorite thing about the GB community, but it does mean that it takes a bit of patience. Getting through all the courses will take you years. The payoff is that you will have carefully attended to your weaknesses along the way and stubbornly avoided unnecessary injuries so that you really can do the moves that have inspired you (and the rest of us). Also, even really fit people will look a bit amazed when you tell them what your workout is.

Welcome again!

• Upvote 1