• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Coach Sommer podcast with Paleo Magazine

Coach Sommer

Alexander Egebak

Hi Coach

Your podcast made me wonder...

You say you use a steady state cycle for building strength in weightlifting, deadlifts, I believed you say. And that the progress should follow a scheme of over-, normal- and underload for the body to adapt.

In foundation it seems like we are almost always under overload except for deload weeks, which does not represent a very big part of the program.

How is that so? I am genuinely curious about this, since it appears that the steady state cycle would have to be a different kind of cycle to deal with weighttraining or that the training with your athletes differs from the programming of foundation.

• Upvote 2

Mark Schoenhard

Does the forum thread exist for the 69 year old individual discussed on the podcast?  Congratulations coach, nice one!

Coach Sommer

Frits has shared many valuable insights here; simply check for posts by forum member 'FritsMB'.  I recommend viewing them in ascending order so you can share his journey from the beginning.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

ADRIANO FLORES CANO

Nice to hear Coach's voice and laughs again :D

Great podcast! Not as long as the others but I like it anyway.

Thanks Coach and Paleo Magazine!

• 2 weeks later...

Coach, you mentioned that you had your athletes do deadlifts as pre strength conditioning, can you go a bit more into detail about the programming behind that? Such as, did you have them stop at a certain weight to prevent hypertrophy of the lower body, or did you pull in a matter different from the conventional pull?

"They can't warm up, now what are we going to do?"

That made me laugh in an introspective sort of way. :)

It's funny now, looking back.  But at the time, I was like, "Good Lord.  Seriously?!?"

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

It's funny now, looking back.  But at the time, I was like, "Good Lord.  Seriously?!?"

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

You masked it well Coach. Or we were too gassed to notice. :)

- Chris

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach, what were you doing at the first seminar that you considered as warmup?

Not at all. It was nothing more than the normal 15-20 minute floor section of the stretch that I normally did with my athletes. Nothing special.  Nothing intense.  

Except that it took the seminar students 90 minutes and they were all sprawled out on the floor afterwards. A modest gymnast warmup/stretch (not even a hard stretch!); destroyed them. :(

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

Scott Pelton-Stroud

Hi Coach

Your podcast made me wonder...

You say you use a steady state cycle for building strength in weightlifting, deadlifts, I believed you say. And that the progress should follow a scheme of over-, normal- and underload for the body to adapt.

In foundation it seems like we are almost always under overload except for deload weeks, which does not represent a very big part of the program.

How is that so? I am genuinely curious about this, since it appears that the steady state cycle would have to be a different kind of cycle to deal with weighttraining or that the training with your athletes differs from the programming of foundation.

I want to second this question! You also mentioned your 8-12 week over-underload training style in both of your podcasts with Rob Wolf, as well as BtGB. You implied that this is the style you use with your athletes. Why the switch in the Foundation program?

- SSC is a methodology that I primarily used with some of my advanced athletes' warmup elements. You will also see that Jon Douglas here on the F1 private forum has had a lot of success implementing this protocol into his own warmups. Remember also that Jon is a L1.5 Certified GB athlete.

- At your guys level, you need to take care of first things first and that means getting Foundation mastered and out of the way. The primary point that I want you to take away from the podcast SSC discussion is that it is essential to give the connective tissue time to adapt. And that is what the Foundation programming is designed to do for you.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 5

Alexander Egebak

Coach, do you have some documents (articles / books ...) about time to adapt for connective tissue ?

Thank you

Matt.

You either need to attend a seminar or be a member a springer.com to see the real goods.