Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

press to handstand

Supreme

Few days ago I got very intrested in this skill since it has some carry over to a planche as I heard. What exercises should I master before starting to train press to handstand. Cheers!

• Upvote 2

It has a little carry over to planche. I wouldn't say A LOT.

Things to work on:

Press to headstand, which obviously means working on being able to do a headstand

Pancake straddle split and Straddle-L

Handstand.

Katharina Huemer

I could either right so much about this skill that it would take me hours.

OR just watch those videos. In my opinion, those are the best on YouTube, and trust me - I have watched (almost) all of them more than once!!!

Those progression worked for me:

1.straddle and pike press to headstand

2. press to handstand with shoulders against the floor - several in a row! (you can add ankle weights)

3. straddle L hold

4. standing straddle press

5. negative straddle press, so from handstand or just from stand lowering to straddle L

6. straddle L and try lifting your butt up higher and higher

7. full skill

• Upvote 5

1.straddle and pike press to headstand

2. press to handstand with shoulders against the floor - several in a row! (you can add ankle weights)

You mean the wall in item two I'm sure (?). But how is this step two? This is a preparatory step for straddle to HS no? 

Thanks for clariifing.

Katharina Huemer

so sorry, of course it should be "against a wall". 

If you can't press up against a wall yet, you should kick up to handstand with your hands about half a foot away from the wall (the closer the hands, the harder it is).

- I wouldn't recommend placing the hands more than a foot away, because then you are leaning too much forward which will hurt your wrists and is not the right technique -

Then you lean your shoulders and whole body againt the wall and try to straddle down as slowly as possible, rolling down one vertebrae after the other. You will likely just fall down at the last third part. but keep working until you get all the way down very controlled.

Once you can do that, start in the same position, but this time you stand in a straddle and press up.
Then you can try pressing up (slowly, no jumping), then lowering down, holding your feet about 1 inch above the ground and up again.
Once you can do 5 in a row, try ankle weights.

This is it for the pressing part.

Then you really need to get your shoulders strong, so do lots of handstands, shoulder taps maybe overhead presses?

But if you want a really good Press Handstand I would recommend that you get H2 (and H1 if you don't have a strong handstand yet). it will go through all the steps.

But it is definitely possible to learn it at home, that's what I did. Just watch tons of videos, videotape yourself and compare your form with the one in the vids and PRACTICE!

Good Luck!

• Upvote 4

Graham Smith

Balance and pike flexibility. For the former hold handstands, for the latter work on your pancake compression. For everything combined, run through the coach's handstand course....

>> Then you really need to get your shoulders strong, so do lots of handstands, shoulder taps maybe overhead presses?

Thanks for explanations, I'm working on the negatives against the wall, few times II was able to press my feet up without jumping but can't say I can do it consistently. I had hurt my wrists so had a break and now I'm back to it hoping to master the press against the wall this year. 

Question to you and all: how important is the tuck planche strength for it? I think that this is where I'm the weakest (comparing to my compression, pancake stretch, etc). Without the wall support it's likely the most important strength element ...

• Upvote 1

Katharina Huemer

If your wrists hurt, make sure that you warm up and then stretch them before and after the exercise. What helped me a lot was rice bucket - 50 circles in each direction - my forearms now look like the ones of a lumberjack :D

You could also get wrist supports, I think those are sooo great! They are about 50$ but helped me a lot. Tiger Paws and Golden Hands are the best IMO. But don't stop doing wrists strengthening stuff if you start using them!

I can't tell if tuck planche is something that helps with press handstands a lot. I guess to a certain point definitely, but I don't know if it is required.

I can do a tuck planche and just 1 press handstand from the floor. I think those presses are a lot harder.

I hope some more experienced members comes up with their opinions!

Katharina Huemer

Kat, have you tried moving your tuck planche into a HS? Soon your traps will hate you :D I know it's hard for my students to get that good hip lift to get centered over their hands as they soon tire out very fast.

Do you mean me?

If so, no I never tried that! I don't even know how I should start? I think I am far too weak...looks so hard!

Kat, have you tried moving your tuck planche into a HS? Soon your traps will hate you :D I know it's hard for my students to get that good hip lift to get centered over their hands as they soon tire out very fast.

Tried. I could only lift like this guy  in this video 0:09  u9cPqJS3pU4.

Appreciate everyone for helping with press to handstand.