Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New member introduction and question

Stefano Di Virgilio

Stefano Di Virgilio

Hello everyone. My name is Stefano, I'm 24 years old and I'm Italian, so I'm sorry if I will make some grammar mistakes. I've been following you for a few months and now I've decided to introduce myself.

I've always been interested in sports, expecially martial arts. Infact I've done judo for 9 years (the last five with also weight training), until one day I broke the medial meniscus of my left knee. After surgery I went to university, and I haven't done sports for 4-5 years. Then last year I decided to start doing something again.

I was very impressed by street workout (Hannibal for King, Barstarzz, Barbarians etc...), so I decided to start training myself with a purpose. After few months a friend of mine told me about this forum, and I became very curious at first, and then very enthusiast about your type of training.

Now I have a question. I am very interested in the Foundation and Handstand series (don't worry this isn't the usual question "How many years it will take to finish Foundation" etc...) but I have a problem. I told you about the medial meniscus of my  left knee, now it's fine, but three months after surgery I discovered a lesion in the medial meniscus of my right knee. It wasn't painful, so I decided to keep it. Now 6 years are passed and nothing has changed. I still don't want to go into surgery because in the last ten years I went into surgery for 4 times (only one caused by training injuries, my left knee), the last one this March. The consequence of this is that the only (and probably the most important) movement I can't do is squat (over 90 degrees). I've understanded that the purpose of the Foundation series is to master 7 elements, and one of them is single leg squat, that I can't do. For my legs now I'm doing especially cardio work and everywhere I go I always do stairs (it can seem a stupid thing but I can assure you that it isn't). However  I already know that this isn't strength work, but it's better to do that than doing nothing. I don't want to buy Foundation 1 and Handstand 1 and then create an asymmetry between my upper and lower body. So do you think I can buy Foundation 1 and Handstand 1 despite of that and then do something else to work my legs? In particular, what can I do to train them?

Curt Ferson

It's safe to say that anyone starting these progressions will find varying deficiencies.  All I can tell you is that I wish I had access to this program when I was 24. In that respect- you're lucky. This is a long term endeavor. Train smart and maybe talk to a medical professional about the leg progression first.

Enjoy.