Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

reverse muscle-up

speters

I have seen some further success in obtaining the reverse muscle-up. After watching the video several times I have tried to copy his movement (my feet are on the straps though) and can lower almost completely down and return to the shoulder stand. I'm stuck "in-the-hole" at this point and not able to press into the full handstand. Fresh this is no problem (pressing into a handstand from the shoulders) but putting the entire movement together is taxing.... What a move!!!!

Sean

I have seen some further success in obtaining the reverse muscle-up. After watching the video several times I have tried to copy his movement (my feet are on the straps though) and can lower almost completely down and return to the shoulder stand. I'm stuck "in-the-hole" at this point and not able to press into the full handstand. Fresh this is no problem (pressing into a handstand from the shoulders) but putting the entire movement together is taxing.... What a move!!!!

Sean

Any other vids of good progress are welcome to be posted. :)

Joshua Naterman

yea! I still want to see one of our members do this, how cool would that be!?!

Richard Duelley

I just have a picture from yesterday!

2672815580068627946S425x425Q85.jpg

Thats me doing the reverse muscle up and one of my friends spotting me.

2162560380068627946S425x425Q85.jpg

Ya! I made it up. . . 2 more sets of 3 with a "slow as a can negative" to go!

Nice photos, thanks for posting. Are you able to press all the way back into and handstand? Is your buddy assisting you that much? Looks good, I will get some photos up myself as well.

Sean

Richard Duelley

I dont think he is taking that much off but I have yet to try without a spot. When we spot each other we spot just enough to get through. . .you can tell when someone is working really hard when you spot them so we spot barely enough to make the movement possible. I can do the negatives as slowly as I want, which I think is a good sign :mrgreen:

My overhead pressing has to be my worst area strength wise, so no I cannot press to a handstand. The deepest handstand push up I do at the moment (this is new for the steady state cycle I am on) is two panel mats so like 3-4 inches deeper than a headstand push up. I am excited about this because it took me two cycles to get a solid headstand push up in the first place so I am slowly going to add more ROM every cycle. I will get it eventually :mrgreen:

I did finally get a solid straddle back lever on monday (5 seconds easy with an intense! :shock: pullout).

Joshua Naterman

NICE!!! That transition to straddle really makes you feel like a badass, huh :) I was really excited when I did it the first time, and I still love how it feels. Kind of lets you know what being superman is like, a little bit.

I'm just a few degrees off of a complete lock-out and able to get myself above the rings (into a shoulder stand) but I really have to arch my back and brace my legs into the straps to achieve the movement. Not the prettiest but getting there, the press into a stand is close as well (feet are on straps) in coordination with the above movements.

Not a big computer person, never a Youtuber, etc.. so it may take a bit before the proof is in cyberspace.... I'm good at e-mailing pictures if that helps anyone.

Sean

The process continues and I went the deepest (almost, almost locked out at bottom) and back into a shoulder stand and almost, almost pressed into the handstand. I'm amazed that the one and only video clip I have seen that the guy did the move ("elevator") without any swing or any part of his legs come in contact with the straps. By golly, I have rope burns on the back of my legs from them rubbing the straps....

As a side note, I think all this elevator training is complementing my iron cross training, I have been getting into the cross fairly deep without the elbow pain.

Sean

• 3 months later...
John Sapinoso

one of my coaches had suggested i work these to prep my elbows and biceps for crosses and i had an interesting experience with negatives. .

ended up holding my breath and pushing so hard i got a nose bleed

[=

GB%20Level%203%20Seminar.jpg

one of my coaches had suggested i work these to prep my elbows and biceps for crosses and i had an interesting experience with negatives. .

Yes, you may certainly work on reverse muscle ups to increase your bent arm strength. They are a quite intense and a lot of fun to work. However, in order to specifically prepare your elbows for iron crosses etc., my recommendation is to also adhere to the following straight-arm ring strength progression. While it is true that a possessing a solid foundation of bent-arm strength is essential, without also focusing on the specific preparatory straight-arm ring strength progressions needed, your journey toward an solid iron cross will be a short ride to nowhere.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

John Sapinoso

This was merely a single tool amongst an arsenal of exercises used to prep for the cross and one need not stretch the imagination to see the benefits of a bodyweight curl but of course like coach said, straight arm progressions are a must.

• 2 weeks later...

With some long breaks from focusing just on the rings I have re-visited the reverse muscle-up. I'm able to completely lower down so that my arms are straight, pause at the bottom of the movement and even press just about halfway into the handstand. For reasons unknown to me I get suck mid-way through the press (something that is not a problem when doing standard ring HSPU). I still require the use of the straps on the rings for my legs and really arch the back to get back into the pressing motion. As a side note, a handstand on the rings free of straps is now in my bag of tricks....a one arm muscle-up is not....

Sean

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

This is a video of a guy showing you his steps to getting the reverse muscle up, and he does it SO EASY!!!!

If you just want to see the inverted muscle up skip to 1:24

Train hard!