Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Front lever pull-ups

gogy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFicccDgjUI

What do you guys think are prerequisites for achiving nice form of lever pullups. I can hold straight front lever for 5 seconds and yesterday I injured my back (higher part where slightly below shoulders on left side) when I tried to do 3 front lever pull-ups. I am otherwise followin now foundation 1 for 3 months and I do regular street workout 5 days a week, mostly on gymnastic rings and paralel bars. 

all the best

Alexander Egebak

Full hanging leg raises and body lever I would say for the first phase, along with some degree of pulling strength like wide L-pull ups and pullovers. And of course a very good front lever. This is required before even starting to train those. I am no strength coach so this is just my opinion, others should feel free to add in too.

If you have a back injury you should not be doing those, because if you lose ppt you can risk to recruite too much force in the back muscles and reinjure yourself.

Alessandro Mainente

Not enough rom to consider those front lever pullup. There is the strange idea to consider limited rom skill as a good skill. more deeply if you think about the biomechanic of lats you will understand that the front lever row starts to be useful when you move the upper arm above the parallel. complete rom must have the bar touching the body,

• Upvote 2

Alessandro Mainente

it's performed with false grip that decreases the leverage. aside that it's good

Not enough rom to consider those front lever pullup. There is the strange idea to consider limited rom skill as a good skill. more deeply if you think about the biomechanic of lats you will understand that the front lever row starts to be useful when you move the upper arm above the parallel. complete rom must have the bar touching the body,

No, if the upper arms are at least parallel to the floor then it is considered a rep (obviously not full ROM). I find that some people can pull to where the bar can touch the body and most people cannot pull that far without momentum for FL rows. I was able to do 3 full FL rows at one time, but I was never able to do a full ROM one even in advanced tucked position without having to use a lot of momentum. 

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

Who does consider partial rom a repetition valid? You maybe, or SW rules.if an exercise gives some benefit there is no reason to train partial rom. You cannot manage full rom? Use easier variation. In what world an incomplete rep it's considered useful? in the world where people cannot manage full rom.

It is not street workout rules. The person in the video you criticized is Cisco Gonzales who is a gymnast and coach. I have only seen a few people manage full ROM without a lot of momentum and I believe they have always been able to pull all the way to the bar whereas people like me can't even pull to the bar even in the easiest progressions without a lot of momentum. That end ROM seems to be very different from the rest of the FL row. I haven't seen much gymnasts perform FL rows, but I remember even Coach's gymnasts couldn't manage full ROM in BTGB.

I would like to be able to do full ROM FL rows too, but I can't even get to that end ROM slowly and getting stronger in the rest of ROM doesn't seem to be carrying over to that end ROM. I don't know what the problem is, but full ROM in FL rows might not be possible for some people. I hope Coach can explain more about full ROM FL rows.

So based on your logic; a butterfly pull to cross, cross pulls, quarter and half squats, Yewkis, HBP without starting from PB/rings support, half ROM front pulls, and many more are invalid and useless right? I remember that you even said the upper arms should be at least parallel to the floor for planche push-ups to be considered a rep (which is not full ROM). Stop being hypocritical; I agree that full ROM will always be better, but some exercises with slightly reduced ROM or only half ROM are definitely not useless or invalid.

• Upvote 3

Redwan Haque

In the original BtGB, coach's own students stop at 90 degrees on FL Rows, not just on full ones, but straddle, flat tuck and even regular tuck.

In the original BtGB, coach's own students stop at 90 degrees on FL Rows, not just on full ones, but straddle, flat tuck and even regular tuck.

They still didn't reach the bar. You should look at the distance between the bar and body and if the body was horizontal rather than look at the elbow angles.

Redwan Haque

They still didn't reach the bar. You should look at the distance between the bar and body and if the body was horizontal rather than look at the elbow angles.

I know - I'm agreeing with you. I'm saying Coach's students have about as much ROM as the guy in the vid, and not only for full FL rows but even tucked ones.

Alessandro Mainente

to consider valid it's fine...upper arm horizontal it's necessary and of course the tempo of cisco it's impressive.  does it gives the same benefits of full rom? maybe not.

Christoph Pahl

Please Alex, show me a video of a full ROM front lever pullup without false grip and with static top position. It's impossible by physics: A victorian is possible (arms extended, hands level of your body). Now imagine bent arms in this position: The centre of mass moves away from your hands - so you will turn, feet to the ground. On rings you can counter this effect a bit by narrowing the rings while pulling up, but not enough: Arms fully bent, the hands are near the chest - but centre of mass is further down.

Edited by Christoph
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...