Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your core routine

Farid Mirkhani

Farid Mirkhani

For the people who don't follow the foundation series, it would be interesting to see your current core routine.:)

Myself, on Mondays and Thursdays I work on handstand so I usually work my hollow body hold. On Tuesdays and fridays I work on achieving full hanging leg lifts on stall bars.

ForzaCavaliere

Hanging leg lifts, body levers, ab-wheel rollouts, and sit-ups.

Also, I just started these, but sit-ups while hanging off a straight bar using only the instep of your feet. Develops the flexing motion of your foot (opposite to calf raises), and stretches the hamstrings big time.

Alexander Egebak

How do you incorporate them in your training? :)

You could instead ask us to help you build a routine :D

I am currently (while typing) doing hollow body holds. I will afterwards do arch body holds and bridge for core strength, plus some of it comes from shoulder training incorperated

Farid Mirkhani

You could instead ask us to help you build a routine :D

I am currently (while typing) doing hollow body holds. I will afterwards do arch body holds and bridge for core strength, plus some of it comes from shoulder training incorperated

Haha, thanks! But no thanks. I'm just interested to know about other people routines, just cus its fun..

I usually don't think about conditioning my abs, I just work on things I wanna get better at. Hangin leg lifts is one of them. That's why they're in my Monday and Friday workouts. :)

The hollow body holds, I do them because of my handstand. But I hate it! I hate it so much I have nightmares about it. I'm sick and tired of hollow holds. I wish they weren't necessary for handstands, or there were other better bodyline drills. :(

Alexander Egebak

Haha, thanks! But no thanks. I'm just interested to know about other people routines, just cus its fun..

I usually don't think about conditioning my abs, I just work on things I wanna get better at. Hangin leg lifts is one of them. That's why they're in my Monday and Friday workouts. :)

The hollow body holds, I do them because of my handstand. But I hate it! I hate it so much I have nightmares about it. I'm sick and tired of hollow holds. I wish they weren't necessary for handstands, or there were other better bodyline drills. :(

Well, they are a good exercise for handstand but I do not think they are neccessary. I know many other ways of progressing, basically working from basic balancing skills to straightening back to straightening arms. It would be like bent legs headstand, headstand and then handstand just to cut it out (there are some steps in between).
  • Upvote 1

Ivan Pavlovic

On streight arm days i do floor l-sit holds and hanging lag raises and in bent arm days i do hanging l-sit (pullups), dragon flag negatives, hollow body holds and hollow body plank. :)

Edited by Paf

Alexander Egebak

On streight arm days i do floor l-sit holds and hanging lag raises and in bent arm days i do hanging l-sit (pullups), dragon flag negatives, hollow body holds and hollow body plank. :)

I would never be able to do L pull ups, dragon flags and hollow body holds on the same day :D Simply too much ab work for one day there, atleast for me.

Farid Mirkhani

Dragon flags or what gymnast would call Body lever is very similar to hollow body hold. But the L pull up is still different.

But If you don't have strength for L, you could always do them tuck L-Pull ups. :D

I always have straight arm planks, reverse planks and side planks in my warm up. Usually just 1 minute plank, 1 minute reverse and 30 seconds each side plank. After that (when I trained 3 days a week) I did hollow body hold, although like a SSC plan, so I never went to failure. But then afterwards I did hanging leg lifts like a madman.

Katharina Huemer

I do Foundation, so I always do that.

But after that I do:
20 V-Ups/20 Straddle-Ups/20 Tuck-Ups/30s Plank

20 Hollow Rocks arms up/20 Hollow Rocks arms sideways/20 Hollow Holds/30s Plank
20 Sliders/20 Speed Sit-Ups/20 Butt Lifts/20 Toe-Touches/30s Plank
20 Arch Rocks/20 Arch-Ups/20 Arch Rocks/20 Windshield Wipers/max Plank

When I started I couldn't do all exercises in a row, so when I noticed that I got form breaks (arching of back) I stopped and then continued from there. Once it got to easy, I started adding ankle weights/wrist weights!

• Upvote 2

GoldenEagle

Other than my foundation workouts:

V-Ups

Hollow rocks

Arch rocks

Supine leg lifts (They are sort of like hanging leg lifts, just laying on the floor. It helps me learn better pike compression.)

Reverse hyper extensions

• Upvote 2

Katharina Huemer

Other than my foundation workouts:

V-Ups

Hollow rocks

Arch rocks

Supine leg lifts (They are sort of like hanging leg lifts, just laying on the floor. It helps me learn better pike compression.)

Reverse hyper extensions

Do leg lifts on stall bars just work hip flexor or also abs?

GoldenEagle

Do leg lifts on stall bars just work hip flexor or also abs?

Although the hip flexors do most of the work, the abdominals and obliques benefit from the overall movement.

• Upvote 2

Generally after a session of squats, I will do jerk dips for 10-15 reps with more weight than my 1rm squat. I'll generally do these sometimes adding 5-15kg per set until I just end with a 60s isometric hold.

I really feel these work my abs or my middle back when doing them but if my knees are achey, I won't do them since I generally bounce off the bottom of the dip to make them a bit explosive. If it's a FS day, I'll do them racked in a FS. BS day, BS.

I also find GoodMornings or RDL's are exercises where I feel my abs work.

Probably should bring doing body levers as that would be fun.

Farid Mirkhani

Wow, I had no idea what jerk dips was. I thought it had to do something with dips, but it turns out that it's just front squats with poor rom. :D

Katharina Huemer

For the people who don't follow the foundation series, it would be interesting to see your current core routine. :)

I also so some of "Meggin's Workouts" every now and then. I love her advanced ab workouts!

I think they really work you entire core, if you do all of the stuff with right form (really pull your stomach in during the planks etc).

It might not look that demanding, but try it... I bet your stomach will burn after it!

Here is an example of my favourite workout: