Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Reverse planche? Check this out!

hype

Joshua Slocum

Hey

watch this, at 3:26, theres a guy that does a reverse planche with straight arm.. its the first time i ever see this, what do u think about it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLU28k45mZ0

It's an amazing achievement.

My understanding is that the athlete in question has a medical condition which caused his legs to atrophy. So unfortunately this is not proof that such a position is achievable for someone without severe leg atrophy. Even so, it demonstrates immense strength.

• Upvote 1

That looks more like a Victorian than the reverse planche.

Reverse Planche-practice | wall supported (Youtube video)

No, a victorian is an inverted maltese. The one shown in the OP video is a true inverted planche, while the video you linked is also called a reverse planche in gymnastics (Mexican Handstand in handbalancing).

Coach Sommer

That is NOT a reverse planche. A reverse planche begins from a handstand and then, with straight arms and minimal lower back arch, lowers the back to the floor using shoulder flexion strength.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

Toni Laukkavaara

That is NOT a reverse planche. A reverse planche begins from a handstand and then, with straight arms and minimal lower back arch, lowers the back to the floor using shoulder flexion strength.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Have you ever seen it?

It's an amazing achievement.

My understanding is that the athlete in question has a medical condition which caused his legs to atrophy. So unfortunately this is not proof that such a position is achievable for someone without severe leg atrophy. Even so, it demonstrates immense strength.

yeah I read that too! Do you know his name? I've been searching him on youtube but i can't find anything about him

Coach Sommer

Have you ever seen it?

Seen it? I have taught it.

There is a very good essay detailing the protocol of my athletes' back and front limber development here on the forum.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Alexander Egebak

That guy is seriously strong!

He does it so effortlessly, truly jealous!

Alessandro Mainente

the guy in the video has obviously a legs atrophy, it's simple impossible perform the inverted planche with shoulders directly over the hands. certain level of chest pushed forward is required by normal people. 

• Upvote 1

Sailor Venus

the guy in the video has obviously a legs atrophy, it's simple impossible perform the inverted planche with shoulders directly over the hands. certain level of chest pushed forward is required by normal people. 

What about Russian spins (front of body facing the ceiling version) on the pommel horse? Isn't that essentially the same shape? Would developing Russians for the horse is the same way of developing both normal and inverted planche?

What about Russian spins (front of body facing the ceiling version) on the pommel horse? Isn't that essentially the same shape? Would developing Russians for the horse is the same way of developing both normal and inverted planche?

No, that is very different since you are swinging and using momentum to get your body horizontal. It's just like training regular circles won't get you a planche.

Alessandro Mainente

maintain a body shape during a russian like xiao qin it's hard as maintain the rear support with feet on the air. it's a matter of specificity.