Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sanchez Gabriel

Sanchez Gabriel

Im thinking about doing assisted muscle-upson this machine for perhaps 3x5 then move down in weight once i feel ready. Or perhaps 2x5, then do 1x of straight bar, along with 1x of chest to bar pull-ups. I won't be doing them wide of course.

Alessandro Mainente

this assistance-machine does not prepare enough the elbows and shoulders as rope climbing mastery in F-course.

• Upvote 2

I was recently tasked with getting the ladies at our gym their MUs, and the best thing has been rope and transition work. People just don't see it when you tell them the rope will achieve more than just going up and down a rope. Then when they see the transfer to other elements, they will fall in love. And by fall in love I mean I keep putting them on the rope. :P

I've heard a lot about this. 

What exactly is the transfer? Since i've been doing towel pull ups, my muscle ups also have been stronger. I'm wondering why.

Ryan Hutchins

Its an idea. I'm not sure how well thats gonna translate to MU. I definitely would be doing negative reps and theraband asssisted reps before resorting to the pullup assist machine. False grip pullups, neg MU, and low ring toe assited MU will be all you need to achieve your goal. If you need more specific ideas then just get a rope and climb it all day <_<

Coach Sommer

Not exactly. I believe that I was referring to either kipping MU or kipping HeSPU.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I don't think this would help with muscle up training at all. Back when I couldn't do regular pullups, the assisted machine did not help even a little. I don't see the benefits associated with training muscle ups like this. With a wide muscle up, at the end of the transition, you'd end up at the bottom position of a single bar dip (close to a bulgarian dip for rings). If you watch the video, this position is completely skipped with the assisted muscle up. I suspect what Josh is training for in the video is the no lean wide muscle up, like the one Andreas Aguilar does in the beginning of his now famous 1991 world gymnastics video. So essentially, what he is attempting is a pullup to a bodyweight tricep pushdown. This is much much more difficult than a wide muscle up. 

So, if that's what you're training for, then maybe this would help (I don't know), but if you don't have a regular or wide muscle up yet, there is little to no benefit in using the assisted machine.