Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[Help] Strange planche progression

Dozen'as

I'm sorry if there is already a topic with similar planche problems, but searching for it in forums was kinda impossible, because i need proper explanation for the problem that I'm facing.

Problem: only able to do straddle, tuck planche, and feeling weird about it.
Question: what should I do? Is it even normal? should i continue with straddle planche? 

Details:

My planche story is really strange, because i couldn't do front lever, but boom one day i tried straddle plance and there you go, i almost got it. Why I say it's strange, because planche is really harder than front lever, from what i heard. The thing is, that i never trained for planche, just doing some tuck to handstand for fun. and modified push ups which I did in almost every routine.

Other strange thing: When I'm lucky I'm able to hold stranddle planche for 1-2sec. But I can't hold advanced tuck or one leg planche.

I was really good at backlever, and I'm able to hold V-sit.
here is a vid, of my first planche (when those attempts were filmed, i couldn't do front lever)
I know the form is bad, but still...
video: http://youtu.be/pILACorr0Ts?t=15s

Emirking Stillalive

As Zach said, you are far from straddle planche. Your body needs to be hollow. On your clip, your back is at 45 degree angle compared to the ground. There should be no angle, you need to be completely parallel. On the other hand, you said you can't hold advanced tuck.

Probably because you get more parallel to the ground. The more parallel the harder. When you lift your butt ass high as you did on that clip, you actually hold that position only because your center of mass is much smaller, and the pressure on your shoulders is significantly smaller than in a true straddle planche. It is more like doing handstand... 

You should scale back and work on basic tuck planche and build up on volume; try to hold it several times for solid amount of time.

Make sure to protract your shoulders.

My advice for you is to record a clip where you are doing tuck planche, or maybe your advanced tuck planche tryout. So we can tell you what you are doing wrong...

Edited by GORIZONT
  • Upvote 3

Hannibal Ahmed

bro, you don't have a stradde planche, and you even stated that you don't have an advanced tuck, so like the dude above me said, it's time to scale back to the basic tuck until you're feeling very comfortable in that position and try to have a mirror used or someone to watch you, as you should be parallel

Alexander Egebak

Where is this straddle planche that you were talking about ?

No need to be sarcastic, he might actually listen to us if we atleast act professionally :)

• Upvote 5

well, yes that was too much optimistic to say that I'm able to hold it, (yes I can with bad form like in the video). Anyway, I tried to lower myself to be more parallel to the ground, I will upload my attempts.

About advanced tuck, I feel like I'm about to fall ant hit the ground with my face so I always stop at that point, maybe I'm just not strong enough to hold it.

I'm doing pseudo push ups, pseudo holds, lifted piked push ups (or whatever those are) some handstand holds. I don't do tuck planche push ups. Any advice on this? other exercises? that would be helpful.

Here are my attempts: 

Emirking Stillalive

Well, once again when you try straddle, your hips are very high, just skip that part for now. When you try advanced tuck your hips are high as well. I would recommend you to work on basic tuck, when you tuck your feet next to your chest, and hold it 30+ seconds. That is the only position in that clip that you have done right.

If you feel like you are going to fall on your face, that is because you go too much forward and your hips are to high.  Also that is an indicator that your shoulders are not ready for adv. tuck.

Edited by GORIZONT
  • Upvote 1

You are simply to weak for straddle. Go back to basic tuck, work some volume in there. And see in a couple of months how you progressed.

Alessandro Mainente

straddle planche with bad form it' s not a straddle planche.

My suggestion is look to foundations, you need to understand the hollow position over plank, the hips work and activation. If you continue in that way you have low chance to achieve good quality str planche.

• Upvote 1