Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best way to develop full hanging leg lifts on stall bar?

Farid Mirkhani

Farid Mirkhani

Hey guys. I wanna a develop a solid core strength. Achieve reps of full hanging leg lifts on stall bar, headstand pike presses and windshield wipers (also on stall bar).

For headstand leg lifts (pike presses), I'm thinking of achieving 5x10 reps on hyperextension with 10kg, then move on to tuck presses, then straddle and then Pike presses (from headstand of course)

For windshield wipers, I realize I need to develop a solid hanging leg lifts first. So how do I do this in the most efficient and fastest way? Any tips?

Some notes:

1) My passive flexibilty is ok! I can put my hands flat on the ground without bending my knees. I'm still working towards a full pike.

2) I can do about 3-4 sets of 5 hanging leg raises to L with a minute rest in between.

On a side note: I'm gonna do hollow body hold, arch body hold and side planks as a warm up. I think that will be a good idea to maintain what I have achieved and over time keep makin progress with those exercises.

Thanks for any responses.

José Ignacio Varela Suárez

Foundation Courses are your solution. Follow it seriously and you are going to get all those things and much more...

Merunas Astrauskas

Since the release of foundation there's not much that can be discussed publically as most of it is in the private forums. Some new posts even get deleted, so it's tough getting solid advice without having spent money on the courses which is a bummer.

Anyway, have you tried using incline hanging leg lifts to build up the necessary strength for hanging leg lifts? While I haven't tried it myself, it looks promising and you could experiment with it by decreasing the incline as you progress.

Finally, I don't think hollow body holds will help with the lifts much. Lifts involve a lot of compression which the hollow body holds don't train. My current record is a 2 minute hollow body hold and I still can't do hanging leg lifts properly.

Julian Aldag

I could give you an answer that might help, but why should I bother when you "wanna follow my own journey and not just do what I'm told to do."?    

Honestly, why do you keep starting topics and asking questions when you are unlikely to follow the advice if you dont 'think' its what you are looking for (or want to hear)?

• Upvote 3

Farid Mirkhani

Jules, I think your misunderstood me, or most likely, I'm just explain myself poorly (English isn't my native language).

Sure I would like to achieve all those FSP but I wanna sort of enjoy the ride more than achieving those.

For instance, V-sit is something I want. I've read that you don't work towards V-sit in foundation but when done with it you can do a V-sit without a problem. That's cool, but I wanna actively work with it because I wanna enjoy the hard work.

Eh.. I can't really explain better than this, well screw it. I don't care. Don't give tips if you don't want to.

Farid Mirkhani

Since the release of foundation there's not much that can be discussed publically as most of it is in the private forums. Some new posts even get deleted, so it's tough getting solid advice without having spent money on the courses which is a bummer.

Anyway, have you tried using incline hanging leg lifts to build up the necessary strength for hanging leg lifts? While I haven't tried it myself, it looks promising and you could experiment with it by decreasing the incline as you progress.

Finally, I don't think hollow body holds will help with the lifts much. Lifts involve a lot of compression which the hollow body holds don't train. My current record is a 2 minute hollow body hold and I still can't do hanging leg lifts properly.

That looks interesting. I'll try it in the gym.

Otherwise, I was thinking of building a solid L-hang. Maybe 3x30 seconds. Perhaps that would increase how high I can get to the stall bar? Other than this, doing this exercise (don't know the name of it) where you are in a pike position, lay hands flat next to knees and raises your legs. Damn, those are hard, but manageable.

Alexander Egebak

That looks interesting. I'll try it in the gym.

Otherwise, I was thinking of building a solid L-hang. Maybe 3x30 seconds. Perhaps that would increase how high I can get to the stall bar? Other than this, doing this exercise (don't know the name of it) where you are in a pike position, lay hands flat next to knees and raises your legs. Damn, those are hard, but manageable.

Make sure you have the required deadhang flexibility and decent holdtime before attempting L-hang, also a minimum of core strength and pike flexibility. I don't know if this fits your "fitness quest" well, to spend time walking before running, but if you want to stay injury-free this at minimum is what you must do before L-hangs.

I do understand that one does not have the money for foundation series, but superficial strength training is stupid and the very least one could do was to listen to advice being given.

• Upvote 1

Merunas Astrauskas

L hangs might help some, but that's 90 degrees away of where you want your legs to be. You need to get used to active compression. Maybe tuch hanging leg lifts where you raise your knees past 90 degrees could help a bit as well. But even then the straight leg version is much harder.

• Upvote 1

Chris Hansen

L hangs might help some, but that's 90 degrees away of where you want your legs to be. You need to get used to active compression. Maybe tuch hanging leg lifts where you raise your knees past 90 degrees could help a bit as well. But even then the straight leg version is much harder.

What if you practiced slightly-higher-than-L hangs, then even higher after that? Or is there a reason that won't work?

What if you practiced slightly-higher-than-L hangs, then even higher after that? Or is there a reason that won't work?

That can work.

Farid Mirkhani

Actually that would probably work very well. Basically build static hold in the middle of the movement (L-hang) and in the top (a V-hang). Thanks.

Michael Pinto

Jules, I think your misunderstood me, or most likely, I'm just explain myself poorly (English isn't my native language).

Sure I would like to achieve all those FSP but I wanna sort of enjoy the ride more than achieving those.

For instance, V-sit is something I want. I've read that you don't work towards V-sit in foundation but when done with it you can do a V-sit without a problem. That's cool, but I wanna actively work with it because I wanna enjoy the hard work.

Eh.. I can't really explain better than this, well screw it. I don't care. Don't give tips if you don't want to.

Foundation is DEFINITELY hard work, it doesn't give you these movements for free....