Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Maintaining PPT

Farid Mirkhani

Farid Mirkhani

From what I've understood, to achieve a straight handstand you need open shoulders and the ability to maintain posterior pelvic tilt. A good way to "activate" PPT is to squeeze your glutes and abs together.

In a standing position, this is not a problem. I can feel how my abs are hard as steel, and my glutes like two apples pressed together. But in a freestanding position, this is more difficult, especially squeezing my abs.

I suppose this is due to my lack of core strength. So now on to core strength, can a strong PPT be achieved by hanging leg lifts and L-sits, or is the mighty hollow body hold the only solution?

I apologize if this is a stupid question for you guys, but I have recently started my "gymnastic"/bodyweight training and would love to understand your world. :)

Farid Mirkhani

Okay, still hard. It's like I have no stomach when I'm upside down. I suppose this is because I have a weak core.

If it's not too much of a trouble, could you explain why the hollow body hold is recommended for a straight handstand? :S

Julian Aldag

Start working the PPT in different skills. The more you do it, the easier it will get.  Hold planks (top of push up position), and then Planks with feet up on a box etc. If you are finding it hard to keep in a handstand, you need to take a step back and practice it at an easier (yet challenging) exercise.

• Upvote 1

Farid Mirkhani

Hello Jules.

I usually warm up with planks, not elevated though. I think maybe I should start warming up with elevated planks (reverse and side plank as well) as the foot version is not demanding at all. I think I have correct form too, as I protract the shoulders and keep PPT. Much harder than the planks I used to do when I wasn't aware of gymnastic training. :D

Anyways, when I'm facing the wall in a wall handstand hold, I'm 2-3 inches away, and I can keep a flat back (not forever obviously). The problem occurs when I'm in a freestanding handstand. But then again, I can not hold the wall handstand for very long time. Less than a minute for sure, and that's 1 set max.

Another thing I've experienced, is that when I'm doing stomach to wall, I feel it in my traps, not shoulders.. Is this normal?

Alessandro Mainente

If you are not able to hold a ppt during handstand the reason could be poor shoulders active mobility. post a handstand photo.

• Upvote 1

Farid Mirkhani

Thank you, Alex. Closed shoulder was my problem. :D Although I have no problems having open shoulders during a wall handstand, nor do I have problems with wall extensions (arms touching the wall and with a flat lower and upper back). The problem is because of bad habits. I learned the handstand by throwing myself up in a banana form with no knowledge about all the preparation a good handstand requires.

So everytime I kicked up, I ended up with closed shoulder. I focused on having my arms next to my ears and my body is more straighter now. But midline stability is also something I need to work on.