Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Advanced prerequisites for even more advanced skills

Farid Mirkhani

Farid Mirkhani

Hello everyone.

I'm going to try to be as clear as possible. My question is what prerequisites are there for skills such as Manna, back lever, planche, front lever, Side lever, etc.

Now, I know, as an example, that the back lever has German hang as a prerequisites, but I'm not worried about that, what I wanna know, for instance, is the back lever a prerequisites for the planche? Is the front lever a prerequisites for the manna?

So basically, I'm asking if any of the advanced skills are prerequisites for any other advanced skills.

Coach Sommer

This is all covered in explicit detail in the GB Foundation courses.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

Farid Mirkhani

Well.. If money was no problem I would pay you big bucks to be my personal trainer, Sommer.

So I'm assuming the information I'm looking for, I can not have it for free? At least not on this forum? Well then...:)

Mikkel Ravn

The foundation series is cheap considering the amount of information in there, and the hundreds (thousands?) of hours worth of training you get.

Alessandro Mainente

There is the bad idea to think that one exercise has one pre reqs. and as I have noticed , if i share only the previous exercise that is required people will do only this exercise. this not makes sense.

learning is a process composed by high numbers of exercises, combining all this movements you can prepare your body.

for example. a pre reqs for IC should be str planche on rings. then you can try straddle planche with the result that all your body didn't worked on the preparation of str planche. so you need str pl pre reqs and so on.

learning is a journey, it' s not about one exercise. 

• Upvote 2

Farid Mirkhani

Well obviously, if you cannot do a simple crunch, then you shouldn't even be thinking of (as an example) L-sits.

There are many prerequisites; the very first prerequisites would probably be the ability to move your limbs, or simply be alive.. How can you train for planche if your not alive?

However, this is about advanced prerequisites, and not the very beginning of ones journey.

Alessandro Mainente

instead of talk about advanced pre requisites we can talk about basic pre reqs to approach some basic rings elements to adv rings elements:

30 stallbar hangin leg lifts

10 hollowback press

15-20'' str planche

15-20'' fl

2' handstand

10'' manna

15-20'' human flag both side

16-18 mts of continue rope climbing

12-15 single legs squat each legs.

these are basic pre reqs and probably Coach could be more severe on some seconds/reps then me. if you can show mastery of them then we can talk about advanced pre reqs. if not you are not prepared for advanced pre reqs.

Alessandro Mainente

Coach given a reasonable answer. I have the same point of view.

Julian Aldag

Dude, you are lucky there is even a forum like this all about Gymnastic Strength Training™.
If you really want something, you'll find a way.  Save $5 a week and get foundation one. 

If you can't do that, you don't want it bad enough.   And besides, whats the point of

knowing the advanced prerequisites if you don't even know how to train for them?

• Upvote 2

Farid Mirkhani

I am very thankful for this forum. Trust me, I am.

I can afford to buy one course if I save up for it, of course. But this might sound weird, but I wanna follow my own journey and not just do what I'm told to do.

I know that this is not the best way since I'm an amateur with no experience nor do I know anyone experienced in real life. I know my way might lead to no results, buts that's just the way I am. I wanna make it on my own, enjoy the ride and not just get the end results. Please don't judge me on this. My dream is not to be a Olympic gymnast or anything, I just do this for fun.

But don't you guys worry about me jumping on the rings, trying to perform an iron cross and injure myself badly.

Nah, I'll be happy if I can achieve a floor L-sit (on my own :)).

Also, I asked because "the more you know", I suppose.. :s

Julian Aldag

Well good luck. You could save yourself a lot of time by getting the right help.

• Upvote 2

Michael Pinto

Don't fool yourself into thinking that anyone can accomplish anything completely on their own. The success of any of us in anything really is the result of input, advice, and guidance from MANY people, even some you may not think about. The beautiful thing is, each person who contributes to your success has been built from many OTHER people, creating this incredible web of knowledge and progress. The best thing you can possibly do is humbly accept this fact and get as much input from as many different people as you can to absorb into whatever you do.

To think you don't need these other people is shortsighted at best.

• Upvote 1

Farid Mirkhani

I do exactly that. Otherwise I wouldn't start threads. If I could have the foundation for free, I would look at it for information and inspiration, not follow it. That is up to me. Please respect that.

Alexander Egebak

I do exactly that. Otherwise I wouldn't start threads. If I could have the foundation for free, I would look at it for information and inspiration, not follow it. That is up to me. Please respect that.

You want advice from the best, and you come to this forum to get that, and then you decide not to follow it? You cannot just pick whatever piece of information that suits you the most, then ignore the rest thinking that you will do well. If you do that you live in a dream very distant to reality. People have to work hard to get results, respect valuable advice and live by it. The best way to do well in life is to listen to experienced people's advice and THEN build upon that advice with your own experience.

We are not telling you what to do here, you are free to do whatever you want to. We will tell you what in our opinion is the best for you, and you may disregard that. But if you come to change your mind we will still be here.

• 1 year later...

If you don't want to follow foundation then you can always follow the killroy template or make your own routine based on BTGB. The differences between foundation and BTGB is that foundation has clear step by step progressions while addressing mobility, which, in the GST and fitness community, is a big deal. Btgb is, what would call, "incomplete" because it didnt address mobility and thw progressions were pretty intense for beginners and intermediates. It's really cheap compared to foundations, but the quality progressions you get with foundation makes the price reasonable. I'm not saying it's 100% impossible to make a routine based off of BTGB, but the reason Coach Sommers made the foundation series is because the former was faced with many problems by those who used it. If you want, you can do that. But you have to be cautious with your training when using it. Overcoming gravity is another great book like Btgb, and its biggest asset is that it helps you step by step on how to make a training routine. But its progressions for skills are lackluster. A lot of people will agree that foundation is preferred over those two. Pick whichever you want and remember to be careful.

Alexander Egebak

Jesse, you are replying to a thread that is 2 years old. Chances are that the user has left long time ago. Personally I appreciate your willingness to help other people but with a topic this old you are most likely wasting your time :)