Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wrist pain on pommel

Craig Jones

Craig Jones

How do you prevent wrist pain on pommel?

My son and his gymnastics team are all suffering wrist pain especially on pommel ( I am not his coach).

I have touched base with other coaches in Australia and they are all having the same problem....

I am assuming the wrist series in handstand one would help to strengthen his forearm and assist with wrist mobility. I am also thinking lack of shoulder stability over the hand on buck may place extra strain on the wrists.

Coach Sommer had a link to an article on gymnasticscoaching.com linking to http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/ about this subject but is not available any more and I am trying to find him an extra training, stretching, preventative program before the pain stops him competing at the sport he loves.

N.B He is now part of a PHD study on wrist pain in gymnasts.

I have puchased f1- 4, handstand 1 & 2 and rings 1 and can see many beneficial exercises.

Help and guidance greatly appreciated.

Coach Sommer

- The wrist stretches and exercises in H1 are essential.

- Rice bucket work also has potential.

- Reducing pommel training load when and as needed. No exceptions.

- Quality not quantity. One of the largest pommel horse errors I see.

- Depending on the athlete, it may actually be a tight forearm or brachialis that needs to be released. This issue will often manifest itself as wrist pain.

- I will be in Australia for a number of GB seminars this coming November. In addition, I will also be giving a technical gymnastics presentation in the days prior to the GBS in Hobart, Tasmania.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

Craig Jones

Thank you Coach Sommer,

I will start a daily program with him on h1 wrist program and also get physio assessment.

Will discuss pommel training schedule with coach as well.

Thank you for taking time to personally reply.

Craig

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if there is any further information about dates and times for the technical seminar in Hobart?

Cheers

Thanks for your help sufrbouy.

Coach Sommer had mentioned at the last seminar in Canberra to myself and some of the other guys that are gymnastics coaches that he may run a seminar that is focused on gymnastics skills as well as the normal strength training seminars and I was hoping for some information on that as my emails to Coach asking him must get buried in his inbox and I don't want to to keep flooding the same question in so I thought I'd ask here.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

Coach Sommer had mentioned at the last seminar in Canberra to myself and some of the other guys that are gymnastics coaches that he may run a seminar that is focused on gymnastics skills instead of the normal strength training seminars and I was hoping for some information on that as my emails to Coach asking him must get buried in his inbox and I don't want to to keep flooding the same question in so I thought I'd ask here.

A gymnastic seminar focused on technical skills could be very interesting.

Coach have you ever thought about inserting this type of product for the GB community?

• Upvote 1

Coach Sommer had mentioned at the last seminar in Canberra to myself and some of the other guys that are gymnastics coaches that he may run a seminar that is focused on gymnastics skills as well as the normal strength training seminars and I was hoping for some information on that as my emails to Coach asking him must get buried in his inbox and I don't want to to keep flooding the same question in so I thought I'd ask here.

Sorry Tim, I thought you were just after details....

I would love to get to the seminar, but am too busy coching in QLD, esp one for gym coaches....