Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Legit One Arm Planche

Brian Li

Here is the best one arm planche I've ever seen with the arm locked throughout the majority of the hold. It's still not perfect, but this the first time I seen it with the arm locked. Could he be the first one to achieve this skill with locked arm, because every handbalancer I've seen who does this also bends their arm slightly?

I remember Mikael (Handbalancer) say that people bend the arm slightly to not only make it require less strength, but also to make it much easier to balance. Are there any handbalancers who does it with locked arm too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyWnbyrXY-M

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

It's impressive. probably we should see how much he flex the body on the side to reduce the leverage.

• Upvote 1

Ivan Pavlovic

I just saw this a few days ago and wanted to post it to see what people on this forum think about it.

Btw, this is amazing. But i dont thin that he is the only one who done it with locked elbow. I think Viacheslav Spirin or Stanislav Kotelnikov (not sure which one) can do it. Search Raw Art on youtube to see what they doing.

i want to see one hand maltese or one hand iron cross

Those are literally impossible. The closest thing to a one arm iron cross is a OAFL with the body facing sideways.

I just saw this a few days ago and wanted to post it to see what people on this forum think about it.

Btw, this is amazing. But i dont thin that he is the only one who done it with locked elbow. I think Viacheslav Spirin or Stanislav Kotelnikov (not sure which one) can do it. Search Raw Art on youtube to see what they doing.

I looked at 3 of their videos and they never did a one arm planche regardless of straight or bent arm. I saw one of them do a flag (which people might confuse for a one arm planche) and even then the arm was slightly bent there too.

Mikael Kristiansen

That is a really good one and this guy is strong as hell. It has been done by sports acro flyers for quite some time, and I have seen some pictures of it with completely locked arm even up in over head 1 arm hand to hand. It isnt competed much though(i think it doesnt give more points than press to flag). There arent that many handbalancers that train for it, but I know some who can do it very well. I train it a bit myself but i need to bend my arm to hold it still.

The sideways flexion is the entire thing of this move. You cant balance it without doing so but it is crazy hard to flex yourself around the arm. The challenge in a regular planche is to deal with the angle of the arm while here it is not so. You can see his arm has less angle than even a straddle planche. What makes it hard is that you need to essentially externally rotate your entire body. Arm is fixed in place and you have to twist your body around the arm along with lifting it. Add balancing from 1 point to that. It is really tough on the shoulder and lats.

This is form wise the best one I have seen even though the arm isnt completely locked. Its viacheslav spirin a former sports acro flyer who is just absurdly strong. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=106186206120759&set=pb.100001881410883.-2207520000.1403526077.&type=3&theater

This one by chris jones at 1.32 is also pretty good.

• Upvote 4

Awesome! Can you link me to those pictures that show straight arm if they're available? Can you also show your one arm planche progress if you don't mind.

I think the photo you showed of Viacheslav Spirin's one arm planche has the best body line and position I've seen, but don't you think the one shown in the OP video featuring Valera Krischenko's is more difficult since the arm is locked? I can imagine it requiring much more strength and balance because of the locked arm.

What are the prerequisites for the one arm planche and is a one arm HS and flag required? It seems like all the street workout athletes that have a one arm planche or a flag can also hold some form of freestanding one arm HS except for maybe Valera Krischenko (the guy shown in the OP video) as I never saw his OAHS before. 

This requires much more force from the arm than a regular full planche despite the lesser arm angle and shorter lever (sideways flexed body) I presume?

Mikael Kristiansen

I couldnt find the pic i was talking about but i will see. Either way i think that the way spirin is doing it is harder. Im sure straight arm makes the move harder but i believe bodypositioning is more challenging and spirin is way stronger than that guy in general. The guy is pressing 1 arm 10+ times in a row. I will try a bit to straighten the arm when i practice it next time to see how it feels. Its not a move i have been giving any focus for some time due to performing. Balancing it is sort of like a flag which can be done with straight arm so it should be doable, but probably harder. Still the arm isnt really where it is at. To make a comparison, i feel more work in my biceps doing regular back lever than when doing 1 arm back lever because the recruitment and positioning is very different.

I do it based on my strength from flags 1 arm press and lower downs to elbow lever. My planching ability is very mediocre compared to my balancing and I will probably have more to work with if i improve it. The 2 SW dudes i have seen do it well seem to do it more on their solid planche strength assisted by a low level of 1arm balance.(valery kisckenko sort of jumps into a flag in one of his videos so he can probably balance a bit) I think you need that to figure out how to balance since it is a very specific thing. The way I would teach it would be from having a really solid level of handbalancing, but the way those guys are doing it obviously works too and they do it better than me.

The force needed is very specific and different from a planche so its hard to compare. It is a very hard move to learn though since you will probably either need super strong planches+rudimentary 1 arm balance or very strong handbalancing+some planche ability. I think i will get a solid 1 arm planche faster than a regular full planche because my shoulders are very conditioned in a relevant way for it. Also my regular practice containts much more work that will indirectly strengthen my 1 arm planche than 2 arm.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for your input Mikael! Do you work them with each arm? My right arm is much farther ahead of my left arm in the flag and one arm planche attempts. 

So is it the same with the OAFL where you don't really need an absurdly strong 2 arm FL to be able to do a OAFL and that there may not be much carryover between each other? The OAFL with body facing up is much much harder for me than a regular FL.

How much harder is a one arm planche compared to a flag with the body straight? Is the balance in a one arm planche harder than a OAHS or are they so different that they can't be compared? Does a one arm elbow lever help with the balance? Do you think Cai Yong can do an excellent one arm planche?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just very curious.

Mikael Kristiansen

My left arm is so far behind that i dont work the planche on it. Whenever I train 1 arm planche on the right arm i work on making my legs together flag more solid on my left. I did try a bit with arm straight in the 1arm planche yesterday and it didnt feel significantly harder, the force is still mainly on the lats, the entire shoulder area and obliques.

And yes, i think its comparable to the other 1 arm moves. There is carryover, less than one might think. Another example: in a 90 deg pushup there is a lot of chest involvement while lowering down from 1 arm handstand to elbow lever is not much at all. The arm is in the middle instead of the sternum so you need to twist around the arm. This makes the lever shorter but you have to stabilize the humerus in to a different degree.

1arm planhce is for sure much harder than a flag. I can hold a solid flag very easily while the planche even when straddled I can only do short holds. It is different muscle activation but at least for me there is a big difference. It seems those SW dudes have a harder time doing flag, but i suppose thats because their balance isnt well developed in that sort of position and their planche strength is very high. Balance is tricky when planching it too, but less temperemental than 1 arms with higher center of mass when you are actually strong enough to do it.

Elbow lever is a very low level 1 arm balance and wont give much carryover as balancing it is very easy compared. I think the most relevant move is lower down from 1 arm handstand to elbow lever. That in itself is a really hard thing to learn which takes a lot of time though. Cai Yong can for sure do it really easily. Pressing from elbowlever to flag is much harder than a 1 arm planche and he essentially goes through the position on the way up.

This is sports acro duo scherback-popov, from my knowledge the best mens pair in history. Here you can see how the lower down is relevant quite well. Juding from the control down he has it shouldnt be any problem for him to just stop in planche there.  From what i was told they are the first to do the tempo up from lever to 1arm there. High 1 arm is super shaky so their stability is amazing. If you want to be mind blown, see their other videos as well.

• Upvote 3

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...