Klemen Bobnar

Klemen Bobnar

I've been searching for mannas on YT when I came across this:

Is that Allan in the second clip?

• Upvote 1

Jon Douglas

I've been searching for mannas on YT when I came across this:

Crikey me that unfold via high manna is incredibly impressive.

Alessandro Mainente

Allan or his brother? i got the same doubt some months ago..

Coach Sommer

Very cool, I haven't seen that in almost 10 years.  Yes, that was indeed Allan in the second clip.

I believe that that particular video is from his very first Level 9 Junior Nationals.  He had just turned 9 and was competing against 12 and 13 year olds.  Allan is the youngest athlete to ever qualify to Level 9 JO Nationals in the history of USA Gymnastics.  He qualified when he was 8 years old.

He won the silver medal on floor with that routine.  He completely freaked out the older athletes.  They literally could not believe what they were seeing.   

Manna is considered a basic in my program.  Allan was capable of holding a very nice high manna position for 5-10s; however the code of points changed and no extra points would have been earned for holding the hgh manna, so we simply passed thru the high manna while transitioning out of the manna.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 14

Coach Sommer

Nothing

what's wrong with the high manna?  how come it got removed

Nothing wrong with it at all. Other than being extremely rare. At least outside of my program. :)

The FIG (International Gymnastics Federation) occasionally makes adjustments to the code of points in order to have an effect on routine construction world wide.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer

I am no longer actively coaching as of last December. However successful progressions remain successful progressions.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

Parkerson Seward

Why does the manna disappear with older athletes? It seems you rarely see someone perform it in competition, whether on the floor or the parallel bars.

Coach Sommer

It is a failure to maintain proper balance in their training between their ring strength and enough active mobility work.  

Manna work is actually a wonderful addition to high level ring strength work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

Parkerson Seward

Makes sense.

If years from now I can do an iron cross and a manna, I think I'll be in a pretty good spot.

Robert Fritsch

Can a 30 year old with no gymnastics background, in ok physical shape expect to one day reach a manna?

Daniel Burnham

Can a 30 year old with no gymnastics background, in ok physical shape expect to one day reach a manna?

Impossible to say but I think there is a good chance with hard work and dedication. It will take longer than a few months I can tell you that.

Joshua Slocum

I can't see any reason why not so long as you're willing to work your butt off and you don't have any medical conditions holding you back. 

Tristan Curtis

What's the physical demands of the manna that makes it so challenging?

Obviously one needs near-complete active pike mobility (which will take much time and persistence for the average adult). Besides that, is it mainly a massive amount of shoulder extension strength and stabilisation to keep your torso up off the ground?

Daniel Burnham

Lots of tricep strength and shoulder extension/ scapula retraction.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I am no longer actively coaching as of last December. However successful progressions remain successful progressions.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

If you don't mind me asking, how come you are no longer actively coaching at the moment? Is it because you are transitioning more and more into spreading Gymnastic Strength Training™ to a wider, and more adult audience? Just curioius.

• Upvote 3

Alessandro Mainente

i would add rear delts to retraction and triceps, it's the only way to maintain connection from spine and arms.

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...
Farid Mirkhani

Chest on thighs; nose on shin.

After a stretch or two, I am able to place my chest on my thighs and my nose (face) on my shins. However, this is only possible if I grab my legs and pull myself into that position and hold. I guess that isn't the "perfect" pike position.

The thing is that I don't seem to feel much stretch (even with flexed feets), so I am not sure how I can stretch so that I can be able to reach "the perfekt pike" by just laying my face on my shins without any assistance (using my arms)... The amount of flexibility must be really high, not sure if it's even possible for someone who didn't start as a kid?