• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fractured Hand

Mark Balsom

Mark Balsom

Hi everyone,

Sometimes shit happens. 

I unfortunately fractured my metacarpal of the index on my left hand almost 2 weeks ago. It's now plastered up and I have no choice but to be patient. I was of course exceedingly frustrated at first but am now grateful it's "only" a small fracture on one hand. Could of landed on my head I guess..!

Anyhow it's now more often leg day  :P  and I'm alternating between SLS variations and some weighted lunges and squats. For my GB Foundation training I'm just taking it as an opportunity to revisit and emphasize the basics; HBRs, ABRs, V-Ups, Side Planks, etc.. and of course a ton of mobility work!

As to Handstand practice I'm back to elbow headstand and presses.

Any training ideas? Anyone been through this kind of injury?

Any tips on speeding up recovery? 

Tips for rehab' when the time comes for me to be plaster-free? And how to progressively reintroduce handstand work and stress on my hand?

PS. Being injured right now completely relieves the impatience of delayed M1 release  ;)  hahaha

Have a great day!

Mark

Alessandro Mainente

I'M not happy to hear that! but the positive aspect is that you will reinforce the bases.

nothing serious. after focus a lot but really a lot on wrist conditioning of H1. when you rest atrophy comes. also if you can rotate your wrist to maintain high blood supply.

• Upvote 3

Get well soon Mark.  It's been a dark day for Switzerland and if I may be so bold, they'll need all hands on deck  ;).

• Upvote 1

Mark Balsom

I'M not happy to hear that! but the positive aspect is that you will reinforce the bases.

nothing serious. after focus a lot but really a lot on wrist conditioning of H1. when you rest atrophy comes. also if you can rotate your wrist to maintain high blood supply.

Thanks for your response. Right now no movement of the wrist is possible (see attachment). I rotate the shoulder, elbow and move my thumb and the two free fingers.

I presume when the time comes I should go back to first PE of wrist prep and aim for high rep scheme right?

post-5118-0-15906400-1403693730_thumb.jp

Get well soon Mark.  It's been a dark day for Switzerland and if I may be so bold, they'll need all hands on deck  ;).

Haha thanks buddy ;) Tonight is our last chance, but with Spain and England out I won't be too ashamed if things go wrong. How're you doing anyway Dave?!

Any other tips, experience is more than welcome guys!

Also I'm playing around with some unilateral arm strength stuff.

• Upvote 1

GoldenEagle

It sucks to have a fractured hand. Isometric contractions will help you gain strength despite the cast.

• Upvote 1