Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to get good form on bar muscle-up?

ForzaCavaliere

ForzaCavaliere

Hi everyone! 

I can do a slow muscle-up but it looks very ugly with a lot of piking and leaning. 

How should I go about cleaning up the transition phase? 

I am lacking the ability to do russian dips, would you attribute the ugly transition phase to this noted lack of torsional strength in the triceps?

http://youtu.be/an35ptK3w88?t=10s

Alessandro Mainente

piking and leaning are fine to counter balance the weight and to make the movement fluid and controlled during transition. kipping and swinging must be avoided. 

ForzaCavaliere

Thanks both of you. 

I was just slightly confused because I see people talking about getting no-pike muscleups, but if it does not really matter then so be it!

Murray Truelove

Thanks both of you.

I was just slightly confused because I see people talking about getting no-pike muscleups, but if it does not really matter then so be it!

Maybe they mean on rings? Your muscle up looks good.

Coach Sommer

There is far too much piking going on in ForzaCavaliere's muscle up.

The form of the single bar muscle in the link above is much more technically proficient.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone! 

I can do a slow muscle-up but it looks very ugly with a lot of piking and leaning. 

How should I go about cleaning up the transition phase? 

I am lacking the ability to do russian dips, would you attribute the ugly transition phase to this noted lack of torsional strength in the triceps?

http://youtu.be/an35ptK3w88?t=10s

(Ideas from someone who can't do a remotely clean single muscle up) Clean up the transition phase by practicing the transition phase.  Do pull ups and pull as high as you can without piking.  Do dips and descend as far as you can without piking -- basically a single bar Russian dip.  Do transition reps without the pull up or dip -- bent arm hang to dip position back to bent hang.

When you say you lack "the ability to do russian dips", do you mean you don't have the equipment or don't have the technique/strength?

I look forward to the day when I can do muscle ups as fluidily as yours.  And then moving on to the day when I can do them as well as that other video.

ForzaCavaliere

Hi tex thanks for the suggestions. I can already do pullups quite high (past my clavicle), I believe dips are my problem. 

When I say I can't do russian dips, I mean I'm not strong enough to. If you look in the video you might be able to see dip bars attached to the side of my wobbly pullup bar (lol), so equipment is not really an issue. I do believe I'm cheating the muscle-up, since if you can do a muscleup you should be able to do russian dips, so piking excessively like me must make it much easier. 

Good luck with your muscle-up conquest!