Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Advice on Running and Plyometrics?

Ronald Istrat

Alexander Egebak

I do parkour myself so I might be able to help you.

For the running part I do 5km trips trying to force myself down to 19 minutes per trip. This is very good conditioning since the pulse is always high. You can do interval sprints as well but I find that doing parkour itself covers this pretty good if you just keep moving all the time. Long distance running is of little relevance to parkour; although you will add kilometers to your overall long distance running capability by doing shorter speed runs.

For the plyometrics part M1 is scheduled to be released soon. Even though we can only guess what it contains it sounds like the perfect package for any sports, especially parkour. However, some simple plymetric drills that would benefit your strength training would be something like box jumps, long distance jumps, rebound (and deep rebound) jumps, kipping muscle ups, wall ups from cat leap position. These are just some. But if you do not have a strength foundation drilling these continually could lead to injures, so beware.

A word of advice from me regarding scheduling of the varies activities would be to structure your sessions. You will need F1 strength training (including stretching), H1 skill training, running sessions, parkour skill training (perfecting technique and breaking jumps) and parkour flow work (skill utilization). I would go about it something like this:

M: F1, plyo work, stretching

T: H1, parkour skill training

W: F1, stretching, running sessions

T: H1, parkour skill training, parkour flow training

F: F1, plyo work, stretching

S: Parkour skill training, parkour flow training (maybe H1 and running sessions)

S: FREE.

Since parkour is cardiovascular in general you can tone down running. Plyowork is also an integrated part of parkour, so it is really not that much neccessary. You can actually cut plyowork out completely and consider it done while doing parkour. H1 is a great upper body warm up for parkour. Stretching after doing parkour is also neccessary as a cooldown but no need to spend ages doing it, as the flexibility should be gained with stretching after F1.

If you do not have the spare time for all this then cut it down. Parkour + F1 are your main priorities. Remember to look at your recovery; time is your most valuable ressource to progress even though that means restructuring your workout. What I wrote might be too intense in the beginning.

If you have any questions feel free to ask away.

Alexander Egebak

Well, I have no clue about running techniques; other than swinging the arms sufficiently, not having arch-supported shoes, focusing on treading neutrally (not letting feet slide outwards nor inwards every step), focusing on using forefoot (especially in sprints) and remember to breathe in a "deep rythm). I have always been told I have a good technique. Someone else has to chime in on this one.

I have just recently started running, 3 months ago where my 5 km time was 25 minutes. Got it down to 20 minutes after 2 months time. My progress is excellent, but I guess this is due to a mixture of good genetics, consistent training and sheer willpower the last 500 meters. The reason I am running is because I was getting exhausted after only 5 minutes of non-stop flow work. This, I thought, was really sloppy (even though guys I know spend 5 minutes doing 1 jump - never does flow. I bet they cannot last that long) and I wanted to increase my possible worktime before ending up out of breath.

• 3 months later...

Poke around on Youtube for a bit, searching for some of the following tearms:

Natural Running Center (also a very good website on its own)

minimalist running form

Chi Running

Pose Running

Barefoot running

There are a lot of commonalities with these different methods- mostly upright posture, mid-foot or forefoot strike, high cadence, shorter stride length, etc.

Due to the sheer number of repetitions performed, running has a really really high injury rate.  Learning good form early can only help.  Bad form will slow you down and lead to injuries.  I recommend getting videos of yourself running, or training form with a buddy.  It's almost impossible to know if your arm is crossing your centerline, your neck is not neutral, or that your right toe turns out every step unless someone else can see it.