Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rope Climbing Alternatives

Sunjata

Towel pullups.

You can also buy a small length of rope to throw over your pullup bar if you prefer rope to towels.

Alessandro Mainente

no one of those variation could be a valid alternative to rope climbing.

• Upvote 2

Toni Laukkavaara

If you have no access to a rope. Can you do towel pullups? Or regular pullups?

i cant see why not :D

Bill Köhntopp

yeah where are you guys hanging your ropes up if you don't have a gym and lets say its winter, you cant get out?

which F-Part contains the first Pe's where we need a rope?

• Upvote 1

Carlos Rodriguez

yeah where are you guys hanging your ropes up if you don't have a gym and lets say its winter, you cant get out?

which F-Part contains the first Pe's where we need a rope?

F4

• Upvote 1

Bill Köhntopp

ok, so i will worry about that later haha, maybe in my next flat :D

Bryan Wheelock

An exercise I've done before: 

alternating grip static chin-up holds

-hold the body at the top of a chin up.

- While maintaining the hold with a 90 degree bend in the arms, Let go with one hand and grab the bar again with a pull-up grip.

- Do the other hand. 

- Then go back to chin up position.

Repeat.

One of the reasons Rope Climb is so effective is that you are supporting your entire body weight with one hand. 

The alternating grip static chin-up holds accomplish that same goal. The rope is still harder though.

I did several searches and couldn't find any videos, but the exercise is simple.

Take it slow.

Carmen Schult

- While maintaining the hold with a 90 degree bend in the arms, Let go with one hand and grab the bar again with a pull-up grip.

- Do the other hand. 

Repeat.

One of the reasons Rope Climb is so effective is that you are supporting your entire body weight with one hand. 

The alternating grip static chin-up holds accomplish that same goal. The rope is still harder though.

I did several searches and couldn't find any videos, but the exercise is simple.

Take it slow.

i think doing this with a towel would be more simliar to rope climbing.

what i was thinking of is just do L-sit 1 arm chin ups on a towel and alternate. this sounds very hard. i haven't tried this one out though, so just some thoughts if there is absolute no possible way to work regularly on a rope

Alexander Egebak

i think doing this with a towel would be more simliar to rope climbing.

what i was thinking of is just do L-sit 1 arm chin ups on a towel and alternate. this sounds very hard. i haven't tried this one out though, so just some thoughts if there is absolute no possible way to work regularly on a rope

With my limited knowledge I think that most people will have a hard time progressing from the pull up variations to alternating arms and grip. It will be even harder with 1 arm L chin ups, since these will wreck your joints, which are still unprepared for the rigors of 1 armed chin ups. Coach has to add in here but I think there is a reason that one armed chin ups are not a part of BtGB nor foundation as far as I know.

Carmen Schult

With my limited knowledge I think that most people will have a hard time progressing from the pull up variations to alternating arms and grip. It will be even harder with 1 arm L chin ups, since these will wreck your joints, which are still unprepared for the rigors of 1 armed chin ups. Coach has to add in here but I think there is a reason that one armed chin ups are not a part of BtGB nor foundation as far as I know.

of course you can't join in and train for that 1 arm L chin up straight away. you have to progress there. just like with every specific skill. i thought that would be obvious and not necessary to mention. how you do that is only limited by your own brain capacity. i would think about doing assisted 1 arm chin ups before.

- Do the other hand. 

Repeat.

Take it slow.

I think you're talking about this one, it's the number 18 in this video:  watch?v=8t2AdK5DcZY

The thing is that the ulnar deviation (adduction of the wrists) decrease the strength we can exert (check nº 29), so grabing a pull-up bar is easier than grabing a rope or a towell

Edited by Flavio85

Jon Douglas

There will come a point at which there are alternatives, such as a short rope or towels, but nothing is quite as good as a rope.

Best to get there rather than worry about it though! :)

• Upvote 1

Alexander Egebak

of course you can't join in and train for that 1 arm L chin up straight away. you have to progress there. just like with every specific skill. i thought that would be obvious and not necessary to mention. how you do that is only limited by your own brain capacity. i would think about doing assisted 1 arm chin ups before.

My point is that one armed chin up work might be too much on the elbow joints for people to handle, even the assisted variations. Of course you can go that route strength wise, but speaking in terms of joint health it would not be wise.

Jon Douglas

I tend to agree; people accept oac training as causing tendinitis as a matter of course. To me this is kinda incomprehensible. Rope climbing is more accessible, allows you to build a lot of volume-- much harder with oac, and coddles your joints (when you are strong enough). More productive faster, unless you are repping 10+ oac per arm maybe to achieve comparable volume...

See my issue with ropes is this. I'm in college, already my facilities are limited. Also I live in Newark, with no car, and there isn't even a decent outdoor park. 

• 2 weeks later...

I actually found weighted Ring Pull Ups and One arm Scapula Retraction & Depression to be a good alternative for Rope Climbs, but also as a good conditioning exercise for One arm Pull Ups.

(at least to the Point where you can do a controlled negative)