Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is stretching necessary for Foundation work?

Jay Bailey

I was wondering if a stretching program should be incorporated into Foundation One to increase flexibility, or if the integrated mobility stuff is sufficient? If the former, does the book contain these stretches?

A stretching program is recommended, especially if you have problems performing some of the integrated mobility exercises in Foundation.  Foundation includes the integrated mobility exercises, but not the stretches to help improve the integrated mobility exercises if that makes sense.  The upcoming Stretch series will address that.  However, before the series is released, the private forums will help a lot if you need suggestions on what stretches you need for certain integrated mobility exercise.

By the way, Foundation is an online course rather than an "actual" book.

Joshua Slocum

The iM exercises in Foundation should be achievable without a supplemental stretching scheme. However, adding one can greatly accelerate your progress if passive flexibility is the limiting factor. 

Robert Rowland

I needed (and still need) very serious supplemental stretching in the pike and pancake positions.  I also had a hard time achieving deck squat, simply because my ankle and hip mobility was so compromised that I couldn't rest on flat feet in the bottom position.

I need 1-2 in-depth stretching sessions a week, focusing on legs and hips.  I'll be buying Stretch One the day it is released.

Some people might also need supplemental cardio (or nutritional modifiers) to lose any excess body mass which might be interfering with range of motion.