Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HARDEST dynamic ab exercises

iyankov_96

iyankov_96

Hello everyone,
I am in need of some really advanced dynamic ab exercises. I am looking for dynamic ones as part of the reason because they simply build more muscle mass and that is one of my major goals at this point.
I really have a solid core at the moment - dragon flags are way too easy..., I do weighted hanging leg raises with 20kg, decline sit ups with 50kg (and I simply can't hold any more weight this way) and I am able to perform 9 full ab wheel reps (if I push myself I can definitely do even more).
So can you please advise me on how to make my ab training even harder ? As I said I am looking for dynamic ab exercises, not static ones. And I would prefer them to only work the abs since I really feel exhausted at that point of the workout.
Thank you in advance !

Daniel Burnham

Back tucks are the best dynamic ab workout I've found.

Have you tried leg lifts?

iyankov_96

What do you mean by leg lifts ? I do weighted hanging leg raises.

Coach Sommer

What do you mean by leg lifts ? I do weighted hanging leg raises.

With straight legs with 20kgs?  If so, please post a video.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Colin Macdonald

With straight legs with 20kgs?  If so, please post a video.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Like this guy? 

:lol:

I think this is what counts as hanging leg raises in most gyms.  :facepalm:

iyankov_96

Yes, I do these. The reason is simply that if I attempt to go full range of motion there's a good chance the weight might drop on me.
If I could do them full ROM with safety, I definitely would !

Coach Sommer

- The partial ROM HLL shown in the video are inadequate for GST needs.

- Full range of motion is easily achieved by using a nylon strap around the ankles to suspend the weight from.

post-1-0-93640900-1402349863_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-06669200-1402349865_thumb.jpg

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 8

Colin Macdonald

I will try these. thank you !

And in case you don't already, make sure to do them on stall bars. Free hanging from a pull up bar is way, way easier.

if possible performing the leg raises on something similar to the stall bars (something bracing the upper back) will increase the difficulty. It essentially gets rid of your body going behind the bar (for counterbalance) and pushes the hips further forward ahead, increasing the lever slightly. 

Julian Aldag

I'm pretty sure the lats come more into play on a single hanging bar when the back isn't braced.  If you don't have access to stall bars, you can have a friend push on your back to brace it, or grip the bar with an undergrip to make it harder to recruit the lats. :)

Yeah, lats are better recruited while free hanging but just in context of the abs, stall bars can make it harder. Supination grip could be good, I haven't experimented with it much :-P

Jan Reipert

for someone without the access to stall bars (like me) you can substitute them with a squat rack and a barbell placed somehere around the upper back. works like a charm.

Thank you all for the help !
Unfortunately, there are no stall bars at my gym. The squat rack is not an alternative either because the bar is not high enough to lower my legs down completely.

Bryan Wheelock

Cutting the lower part of the HLL just makes the exercise harder because it reduces momentum. 

It's more a V-to L movement.

I read somewhere that the abs really don't even start working until the legs are above parallel. 

That's definitely been my experience working on HLL for the last 9 months. ;)

• Upvote 1

Cutting the lower part of the HLL just makes the exercise harder because it reduces momentum. 

It's more a V-to L movement.

I read somewhere that the abs really don't even start working until the legs are above parallel. 

That's definitely been my experience working on HLL for the last 9 months. ;)

Very interesting statement, thank you ! I will buy some bands in order to keep the weight from falling as I go all the way.

One more question: What will target the abs more - maintaining no arch in the lower back and attempting to be COMPLETELY straight or slight arch is more beneficial ?

Everyone, thank you for the rapid help so far. The community here is excellent at assisting new members ! :)

• Upvote 1

Julian Aldag

You must have a straight/flat back when doing the HLL. The pelvis should tuck under (towards the belly button). A neutral or arched lower back will limit hamstring flexibility (to about 90o) and you will have to engage the lats strongly to compensate.

So keep the back flat and blast those abs!

Abdominals probably don't get worked too hard in the lower portion of the HLL as it is just stabilising, the hip flexors are likely doing all of the work. Passing the 90 degree mark and going into a V position tends to require a pelvic tilt which is where the abdominal comes into play.