Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do I have a pulled muscle or not?

bzrk

So I'm working a number of stretches to achieve full pike, side split, and front splits. On Saturday, after stretching my inner thigh abductors (to achieve the side split), I think I may have overstretched my right thigh abductor because after stretching there is a sort of odd feeling in my right thigh whenever I engage my hamstring. I don't know what it is. It doesn't hurt, just sort of there and is a bit annoying. So did I overstretch my muscle? And if so, will staying away from the side split stretch for a few days solve the problem? Thanks.

Keilani Gutierrez

yeah, adductor(inside of the thighs, abductors are the muscles that spread the legs, adductors bring them together) stretches make me feel a little funky when i exit the stretch and then stand up. i feel wobbly kind of like a giraffe. can't say for certain since im not sure what sensation you're particularly feeling but when stretching and things feel funky, maybe i'd ease on the intensity and work my way back up. i kind of aggravated my knee going a bit too hard on a kneeling Hip flexor stretch. a few days and easing back into it with control will do the trick, it's part of the process :) 

• Upvote 1

Jon Douglas

So did I overstretch my muscle? And if so, will staying away from the side split stretch for a few days solve the problem?

Yes (mildly) and yes. As long as you haven't pulled or torn anything (and you wouldn't be asking if you had), you'll be fine in a couple days :)

This often happens when your tight links loosen enough to move the stretch to muscles which have been relatively uninvolved until that point.

Edit;

I also occasionally get some knee irritation when I overdo suspended side splits practise. It clears up in a couple too :)

• Upvote 1

Vinni Williams

I am in physical therapy school so I can give a little advice. It sounds as though you have overstretched your adductors a bit. I recommend not stretching for a couple days. The most important things you can do is ice your leg a couple times a day for at least 15 minutes each time. Also, it is very important to do some very light exercises for your adductors to increase blood flow. Do 3-4 sets for 20-30 reps. REMEMBER, very light exercises. If you start to feel any pain stop right away. If you can, do the ice right after your exercises. Hope this helps.  

• Upvote 1

I just started the side-split stretch again today. I noticed that there is a weak link in my flexibility in a tendon (I think?) running along the inner side of my knee on my right leg, which I had noticed before but didn't think anything of it. That's probably what I injured because I stretched too far. I'll take it slower this time and properly work the weak links in my side split.

Edited by bzrk