Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

30-40 min/day, 3days/week, how does this plan sound?

tmd520

I am only able to dedicate about 30-40 minutes a day to train, so I made myself this training schedule. I'm new to the basic strength training and every exercise is from the BtGB. Since I'm a pretty slim guy, so I've decided to try the 5X5 method. The following is what I would do in 30 - 40 minutes, is this too much and are there any overlap exercise? Please advise, thanks! 

Static Hold:

-          L-sit - PB tuck (10x6s)

-          Planche - frog stand (15x4s)

5X5 Exercise

-          Pushups – Floor 

-          Dips - PB negative

-          Pull-ups

-          V-ups – tuck

-          HLL - tuck half

-          Archups

-          Deck Squats

-          SLS

-          Natural Leg Curls

Alexander Egebak

It looks decent to me except you have too much volume.

How old are you? If are not quite young and are not used to strength training, I would definatly recommend to step away from BtGB and start and prehab work first. This should help:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/3750-prerequisites/page-8#entry93503

The better version is to start doing those so you get a strong fundamental strength base both in your muscles and in your connective tissue. You should refrain from doing planche and l-sit training until you have prepared your elbow joints.

Pushups before dips since dips can be taxing and requires quite a bit of bottom-hold stability before you are doing them correctly. And rows before pull-ups. If you are not very mobile in your shoulder girdle do some flexibility work to open your shoulders in order to be able to do deadhang pull ups.

You should end up doing like this as an example:

SLS prog.

rows prog.

pushup prog.

and add the prehab work here too.

You cannot have a full body workout only lasting 30-40 minutes, yet alone warmup and stretching excluded so you need give yourself more time, do a split, or something else you might come up with.

This is all laid out in foundation series. Go check it out if you do not know it.

-          Pushups – Floor 

-          Pull-ups

-          V-ups – tuck

-          Archups

-          Deck Squats

-          SLS

That's 2 pushing, one horizontal and one vertical and only one pulling exercises and 3 core and lower body exercises. I would prioritize the dipping exercises and use the floor pushups as an assistance exercise. I would also add a rowing exercise.

Nothing wrong with L-sit and frogstands are nothing really that serious.

Yes, you should probably work on the pre-FSP series and get all of that dialed in. Planks and hangs and supports.

Deck squats and pistols can probably be alternated. Unless you are really weak or immobile, deck squats shouldn't be terribly difficult. In gymnastics, we basically use them as a warmup exercise for beginners.

It looks decent to me except you have too much volume.

How old are you? If are not quite young and are not used to strength training, I would definatly recommend to step away from BtGB and start and prehab work first. This should help:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/3750-prerequisites/page-8#entry93503

The better version is to start doing those so you get a strong fundamental strength base both in your muscles and in your connective tissue. You should refrain from doing planche and l-sit training until you have prepared your elbow joints.

Pushups before dips since dips can be taxing and requires quite a bit of bottom-hold stability before you are doing them correctly. And rows before pull-ups. If you are not very mobile in your shoulder girdle do some flexibility work to open your shoulders in order to be able to do deadhang pull ups.

You should end up doing like this as an example:

SLS prog.

rows prog.

pushup prog.

and add the prehab work here too.

You cannot have a full body workout only lasting 30-40 minutes, yet alone warmup and stretching excluded so you need give yourself more time, do a split, or something else you might come up with.

This is all laid out in foundation series. Go check it out if you do not know it.

Thanks for your input Freshpro! I'm 21 years old. You're definitely correct about the dips. I find it a lot more difficult than pull ups/push ups and although I was able to finish the exercise, I don't think I had the right forms. So far, I've done 2 sessions of the strength training schedule that I've laid out. The 1st session took me 1 hour 30 minutes, and on the 2nd session I was able to cut it down to 1 hour 10 minutes. I am able to perform 5 pulls in a set and as well for other exercises.

For the link that you've suggested, I find them somewhat more advanced than the ones that I'm currently doing. I can perform the "step 1" easily, but moving to "step 2" seems like a great leap. Such as the handstand, my current elbow and wrist joints are not strong enough, and step1 doesn't seem to help me prepare for step2. I read the BtGB, it mentions that for exercises only do 3X5 or 5x5, and static holds no more than 60seconds. Is more than 60sec consider as endurance training? I'm bit confused nor, please advise :)

Deck Squats and Single Leg Squats overlap each other. 

Otherwise, it looks good.

Sounds good, deck squat does feel a lot more easier, I'll swap that out. 

-          Pushups – Floor 

-          Pull-ups

-          V-ups – tuck

-          Archups

-          Deck Squats

-          SLS

That's 2 pushing, one horizontal and one vertical and only one pulling exercises and 3 core and lower body exercises. I would prioritize the dipping exercises and use the floor pushups as an assistance exercise. I would also add a rowing exercise.

Nothing wrong with L-sit and frogstands are nothing really that serious.

Yes, you should probably work on the pre-FSP series and get all of that dialed in. Planks and hangs and supports.

Deck squats and pistols can probably be alternated. Unless you are really weak or immobile, deck squats shouldn't be terribly difficult. In gymnastics, we basically use them as a warmup exercise for beginners.

Hi Blairbob, you're definitely right about the deck squat. It felt easy and I always wondered if I was doing it correctly. Is the "pre-FSP series" you've mentioned the same thing as the "prehab work" that Freshpro has mentioned? What are your suggestions on this? The reason I didn't include a row exercise in the workout is that even the most basic Front Lever Rows - tuck in the BtGB seems challenging, and I'm not confident that I can perform it when I'm not fully comfortable with the pull ups. Please advise.

A supplemental questions:  my wrists are a bit weak, and after two sessions of the workouts, I can feel a little wrist pain. What kind of exercises do you guys suggest to build a stronger wrist? Many thanks! 

Alexander Egebak

Thanks for your input Freshpro! I'm 21 years old. You're definitely correct about the dips. I find it a lot more difficult than pull ups/push ups and although I was able to finish the exercise, I don't think I had the right forms. So far, I've done 2 sessions of the strength training schedule that I've laid out. The 1st session took me 1 hour 30 minutes, and on the 2nd session I was able to cut it down to 1 hour 10 minutes. I am able to perform 5 pulls in a set and as well for other exercises.

For the link that you've suggested, I find them somewhat more advanced than the ones that I'm currently doing. I can perform the "step 1" easily, but moving to "step 2" seems like a great leap. Such as the handstand, my current elbow and wrist joints are not strong enough, and step1 doesn't seem to help me prepare for step2. I read the BtGB, it mentions that for exercises only do 3X5 or 5x5, and static holds no more than 60seconds. Is more than 60sec consider as endurance training? I'm bit confused nor, please advise :)

As you become used to the workload you can cut it down even more. Maybe to 60 min. You should really consider adding mobility and flexibility work too, you can do this in between sets of strength exercises and utilize the rest time to save time.

Doing exercises with bad form means that you are not yet ready for them. You should step back and let progress in the easier ones do their work first, in this instance the push up progressions before dips. If push ups are too easy, work on pseudo planche pushups which means working on getting your hands to waist level and perform 5 x 5 with little rest time.

I find it hard to believe that you can do the step 1 3 x 60 secs at least. For better programming go buy foundation 1. I will not give everything away that this program contains.

Hi Blairbob, you're definitely right about the deck squat. It felt easy and I always wondered if I was doing it correctly. Is the "pre-FSP series" you've mentioned the same thing as the "prehab work" that Freshpro has mentioned?

Yes.

What are your suggestions on this? The reason I didn't include a row exercise in the workout is that even the most basic Front Lever Rows - tuck in the BtGB seems challenging, and I'm not confident that I can perform it when I'm not fully comfortable with the pull ups. Please advise.

Do some ring rows. Either feet on floor, feet on block. These are on pg 91-92 of BtGB.

Such as the handstand, my current elbow and wrist joints are not strong enough 

Look up the wrist series. Implent the various support and plank support holds in the Pre-FSP series.

30-40 minutes? That's limited time.

Set up 1 push, 1 pull, 1 core, 1 leg exercise in a circuit. You might set up on primary and one assistance circuit if you have enough time (primary would be the PB negative dip and assistance would be floor pushups for example). Or just rotate or alternate exercises workout to workout.