Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

anyone integrate gb with gray cook's fms or similar?

Darius Sohei

Darius Sohei

if so, how do you do it?

associated questions: does doing gb eventually shore up weaknesses and assymetries naturally? 

certain fms basic progressions like the chop and lift seem to target certain patterns much earlier than what i've seen in f1or h1...

basically what i'm looking for personally is a way to combine the best of all worlds: the gb progressions, fms's neurodevelopmental re-patterning, and movnat/parkour/andreo.

but i want to do it safely and integrated.

i've been doing f1 and h1, but it doesnt yet address all my weaknesses and assymetries...

i'm not being impatient because i am not talking about rushing into a movement that is beyond what my tissues are prepared for, just that i want to address all of me.

Douglas Wadle

I may not answer your question completely, but I believe you're perhaps mistaking FMS as a program as opposed to a conceptual framework which is really what it is.  I love his FMS and believe it is great for identifying weak spots and working on those.  However, it is not a programming system and not a training system. To be honest, I don't think it really does anything foundation doesn't. You may be correct that some issues may be addressed earlier, but in foundation they will be addressed.  That is one of the great strengths of foundation is it's ability to find your weaknesses, even on fairly easy exercises, and make you fix that before you move on.  I think it would be fine when you are struggling with a weak point, to do some supplementary work on that area, and you could integrate some drills from Gray Cook after your foundation training is completed and probably benefit from that, as long as you are paying attention to your recovery.  I don't think it is necessary, but it may help you in some circumstances.  With time, foundation will pick apart and fix all your weak links and asymmetries.  You don't want to do too much too soon...  Cheers,

• Upvote 3

Darius Sohei

When I refer to fms im referring to the functiomal movement system, not just the screen, and while foundation may e v e n t u a l l y address everything, I havent seen anything in f1 that comes close to addressing the chop and lift pattern... which is why I ask. It's not an insult to coach somers (unless you believe that his system is perfect, which it might be when all of the training elements that haven't been released yet are implemented concurrently)

Douglas Wadle

I'm aware you're referring to the system and not the screen. The chop and lift you refer to is very similar to some of the SL progressions, especially the iM's. But again, feel free to add stuff after your foundation workout if you feel it would be helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

As the FMS seems to be more and more accepted as the industry gold standard for movement correction, I'd be quite interested to read coach Sommer's take on how they interact with each other, and whether (which) GB patterns might be advantageously supplemental to the exercises recommended by Mr. Cook & Co. A lot of the FMS pattern corrections are very remedial, so I would assume that GB would probably be a little beyond the scope of the FMS, but more interestingly I'd like to know whether Coach Sommer and Grey Cook have any kind of professional relationship, since Grey Cook seems to work with damn near every other high profile fitness professional in the industry

Sorry for the aside, but if you guys know of any resources regarding their interaction, or if Coach Sommer has a minute to respond, I'd be really curious. I actually work at a Medically Oriented Gym in Honolulu as a trainer, and I'm interested in trying to find a fully integrative correlation between FMS and GB in a manner that could be implemented on clients and not just on myself, hopefully in a way that would not compromise either.

***currently making my way through Foundation Series and I'm VERY impressed with this program.

• 1 month later...
Neil Meekings

Hi,

I do FMS/SFMA corrective exercise protocols with clients along with a gymnastic style training program. The results obtained from an assessment or screen can very much be utilised but you have to be aware of and know the corrective exercise progressions.

For example instead of the standard mobility exercises that the GB program uses i simply add the corrective exercise choices and may well do any Mobility work as part of the initial warm ups. So in the case of a Pressup I add a half kneeling cable chop/lift. 

Works extremely well for my clients whilst strengthening their body and simultaneously correcting any issues like asymmetry etc

A simple re-screen after a few weeks lets us know if we are moving in the right direction, clients love it and it works on 90% of my rehab clients. If i need to refer to one of the other trainers/therapists in my establishment then they can easily pick up where i am and continue.

I dont want to get into the large discussions about the FMS/SFMA all i can tell you is it helps as a baseline standard that is very easy to explain and implement to clients.

For a trainer FMS is cool but for a Therapist SFMA is way more advanced.

Obviously we dont only use these protocols but choose from what we think works for the person concerned and depending on injury or movement deficiency/efficiency

N.