Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

how to land better

deljosque

Do a lot of ankle prehab stuff. Calf raises with feet forwards, turned out, turned in, and toe raises ( where you raise the toes and not the heels ). Walking on the inside and outside of the foot, walking on the heel and forefoot. Practice balancing on one foot on the forefoot and maybe doing some resistance heel movements with a partner or a band.

Is it simply that you bottom out on deep stuck landings ( which means there is a high degree of ankle flexion ) or are you sticking that at normal height with ankle irritation?

Have it checked, you could have a hairline fracture possibly. Possibly stay off the ankle for awhile.

Don't do things you are incapable of doing.

Normal tumbling should condition your ankles, but if you need to do some stability stuff with bands or resistance then so be it.

But it souns like you are overstepping your limits.

it happens with tsukahara 2/1 but only in competition when i try to stick landing. i will try the ankle prehab stuff i thick. i need the 0,4 in the competition

next year 5/2

thanks for the tips

yes

and i will start the nationals on rings so vault will be second and i need my difficulty vallue (5.8) on floor to become in the top of the classification

i started with landing training from a block to land on my toes and i do some stability exercises on my feet

If you are landing it short, you just need some more height so you don't land it short.

whether that's a bigger block off the horse or a faster rotation in the twist is hard to say.

• 5 months later...
John Sapinoso

Video would be helpful!

While you might be able to avoid this problem by fixing your vault and landing technique, you may still want to consider doing the exercises mentioned above and the few i listed below.

A few more include 3-5 minutes of jump rope per foot (done daily before your regular prep, this is probably the most helpful). Using a resistance band to strengthen the muscles in your feet, similar to a calf raise movement, but the feet and ankles are worked rather than the calf. Using a partner for resistance with your foot in a [degrees]90[/degrees] angle, rotate it inward and then back ( you can try using bands, but it's a pain in the ass to set up and doesn't offer enough resistance). One foot stands on a trampoline. Half stability ball one foot stands while rebounding a medicine ball on a wall. Jump sticks off the vault, front and back tuck sticks off the vault. When this height is no longer adequate, jumps and flips from standing on top of the high bar.

This was probably excessive and possibly dangerous but I would climb the rope and let go and stick from various heights. I also experimented with jumping off blocks and sticking on one leg.

Joshua Naterman

There are a lot of good suggestions here, and I hope to add one more. You can do this in any position, but I recommend standing on one foot with the working leg straight and raised as high as is comfortable using active flexibility. Anyhow, draw the letters of the alphabet, from a-z, with your toes, making the letters as large as you can and only using ankle movement to draw them. This causes movement in various planes and helps rehabilitate any small soft tissue injuries you may be sustaining, in addition to working blood through the area. The reason I recommend doing this on one foot with no support is for the balance benefits, which in part come from the muscles in the lower leg and ankle becoming stronger due to the balancing. However, you can do it sitting on the couch, lying on your back, any position really. Straight leg is preferable and recommended during the exercise, but not required.

1.The most efficient thing to do would be to correct your vault technique where all the problems began.

2.You should always do a pre-hab/strength exercises.

3.Correct landing is one of most important thing to guard your back, knees and anckels from injury.

4.Consult with your coach!!! He is the one to whom you trust everythin including to protect you from any kind of injury

I would be very disapointed with my athlete who is questioning me and not trust me enough to talk about problems. Of course coaches are not "internet and knowing everything." If I have some questions, I always consult with my coach first and then he or I ask anything for advice to "outsider". And don't think my coach don't ask anybody for advice...