Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wall handstand before hollow body

Barboy

Hey!

Right now I'm in a preparation mode where I do core conditioning (hollow body hold, arch hold, forearm plank, one arm plank, reverse plank), wrist and grip conditioning (wrist and finger push ups, one arm dead hang, false grip dead hang), and I want to do shoulder conditioning too, by wall handstand, but I can feel my body arch.. I don't have a solid hollow body hold yet (just a bent hollow body).

should I wait until I get my hollow body in check, or can I do belly against wall handstand with poor form just to strengthen shoulders?

Also, Note that I'm working towards a handstand.. Maybe that matters.

Jon Douglas

Belly against wall generally encourages a straighter line in beginners, particularly if you are trying to get your wrists as close as possible, but there's no sense buildin habit and strength in a weak/uncomfortable position. You might try pike handstand holds, with your feet elevated on a box (chair, table, etc) to assist.

This position is useful to practice HS shrugs and HS rear leg lifts, too :)

• Upvote 3

Jesus Rojas

Hey!

Right now I'm in a preparation mode where I do core conditioning (hollow body hold, arch hold, forearm plank, one arm plank, reverse plank), wrist and grip conditioning (wrist and finger push ups, one arm dead hang, false grip dead hang), and I want to do shoulder conditioning too, by wall handstand, but I can feel my body arch.. I don't have a solid hollow body hold yet (just a bent hollow body).

should I wait until I get my hollow body in check, or can I do belly against wall handstand with poor form just to strengthen shoulders?

Also, Note that I'm working towards a handstand.. Maybe that matters.

Well it is not a good idea hold a arch wall HS because you're learning a bad pattern, the best way is first had a good PPT and Hollow body before trying but also you can try to climb the wall ( stomach facing the wall) and going the nearest you can without losing the form and hold. 

• Upvote 1

Ok, it's probably better to stay away from wall handstand until I've gotten my hollow body (and wrist/finger push ups) in check.

My handstand seems so far away now... But this method works well.. Since strengthening my wrists, my freestanding hanstand control has improved, but I try to stay away from it because I wanna learn proper form. :)

Jesus Rojas

Ok, it's probably better to stay away from wall handstand until I've gotten my hollow body (and wrist/finger push ups) in check.

My handstand seems so far away now... But this method works well.. Since strengthening my wrists, my freestanding hanstand control has improved, but I try to stay away from it because I wanna learn proper form. :)

Remember If you learn bad form it going to be difficult to eliminate bad habits.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

if you arch during wall handstand that is one of the early stage in progression your biggest problem is the shoulders mobility . so before focus on hollow, i suggest to fix your shoulders.

• Upvote 1

Jesus Rojas

if you arch during wall handstand that is one of the early stage in progression your biggest problem is the shoulders mobility . so before focus on hollow, i suggest to fix your shoulders.

One of the best ways to open up your shoulders is by doing shoulders dislocations and also I open up my shoulders by doing the L-stands on the wall.

David McManamon

How are you at doing handstand wall walks?  That exercise will strengthen your shoulder and scapula elevation.  

Yeah, just like I said, I'm in a preparation mode right now, but I forgot to write that flexibilty and mobility is also a part of my prep mode. Doing my best to fix my flexibility and mobility in my whole body. :)

One of the best ways to open up your shoulders is by doing shoulders dislocations and also I open up my shoulders by doing the L-stands on the wall.

I've tried L-stand but I couldn't just get the hang of it! I will keep working on shoulder mobility, hip mobility and flexibilty and try it again in the future.

How are you at doing handstand wall walks?  That exercise will strengthen your shoulder and scapula elevation.

Never tried it really.. I just walk up to the wall and hold it. Maybe I should give it a shot?