Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What shoes are people using?

Joachim Gryholm

Joachim Gryholm

Hey everyone:)

So up until now I've been training on my socks in the gym. However, yesterday I was told it was not allowed (they could have told me before, i've done it for over a year and it doesn't say anywhere). 

So I'm looking to buy some sweet minimalistic shoes, that are not five fingers...I've looked at the Vivo barefoot One, they look comfy. But if any of you have experience with some great shoes, let me know:)

Tristan Curtis

Why not FiveFingers? The reason why will help with suggestions.

Joachim Gryholm

Why not FiveFingers? The reason why will help with suggestions.

I have had a few pairs and its not really the look that bothers me, it more the smell they quickly get and the need for "special socks" xD

Emmet Doherty

I've had both Vivo's and Vibrams and the Vivo's are far superior. My current pair has lasted 14 months of near daily wear. 

Colin Macdonald

Do you have your own mat? Just walk around with shoes, then take them off and stay on your mat for leg/planche work or whatever you need to be shoe-less for. Then put them back on when you get off your mat.

The gym shouldn't complain about that.

Richard Gould

The vivo barefoot ones are nice, but the soles are soft and wear out quickly. Good if you can get them on sale, but not worth paying full price. I've also been through a few pairs of 5-fingers, but stopped on account of the smell and also wore through them too quickly. So far the best i've found are the Merrell shoes with a vibram sole.

Joachim Gryholm

Do you have your own mat? Just walk around with shoes, then take them off and stay on your mat for leg/planche work or whatever you need to be shoe-less for. Then put them back on when you get off your mat.

The gym shouldn't complain about that.

That's a pretty large mat if I have to do cossacks on them, I'm 194 cm, so when i straddle my legs they're pretty wide:D But I guess I should rather look for solutions than excuses;)

Jennifer Rodriguez

I train barefoot at home, but I love my Merrell vapor glove shoes.  They have a zero heel differential and are very thin and flexible.

Cody Clark

At home I train barefoot. At the gym I wear wrestling shoes (Adidas adizero wrestling shoes, the same ones that were used in the 2012 Olympics). They are very light, pretty flexible, but also sturdy and high quality. When I boxed in college I also used them at practice, and they held up great. When I got them they were still pretty expensive (~$150... I got mine for free :P), but prices have come down quite a bit. I did a quick Google search and most places seem to have them around $90. I've had them for almost a year and have nothing but good things to say about them.

- Cody

Daniel Burnham

I had innov8 and liked them but they ended up falling apart during sprints.

I got some Merrells and have to say they are my favorite shoe I've ever worn. I got the water torrent because I like the flat sole and often do water sports.

David McManamon

Feiyue's cost $20! I would recommend buying them before investing $80-$100+ in any other shoe. They are very popular in a variety of sports. I purchased mine on Amazon.

Feiyue_White.jpg

• Upvote 2

Joachim Gryholm

Thanks for all the input guys, really nice!:)

I was just out buying some groceries and bought a pair of these for $5. The gym floor isn't slippery so I can use these without sliding I guess, awesome:D

ProductDetail.png

• Upvote 1

Matthew Proulx

Though I rarely wear shoes when training indoors, adidas originals are my fav if I do. Flat soled, light and flexible. Honestly for shoes you can't go wrong with any adidas IMO though I am biased.

Keilani Gutierrez

That's a pretty large mat if I have to do cossacks on them, I'm 194 cm, so when i straddle my legs they're pretty wide:D But I guess I should rather look for solutions than excuses;)

yoga mat, man ^_^ 

GoldenEagle

Barefoot at home and Merrell Barefoot "Trail Glove" running shoes everywhere else. 

I have gone through a pair of Terra Planna VivoBarefoot Evo running shoes and prefer the Merrell barefoot shoes because the toe box is wider.

• 1 month later...
Jeremy Huston

Barefoot at home and Merrell Barefoot "Trail Glove" running shoes everywhere else. 

I have gone through a pair of Terra Planna VivoBarefoot Evo running shoes and prefer the Merrell barefoot shoes because the toe box is wider.

I also use Merrell Barefoot "Trail Glove" when I have to where shoes.  When the laces are real loose they slip on and off easy (much easier than Five Fingers) but still secure enough to walk around in.

• 2 weeks later...
Alexander Egebak

I have Assics Onitsuka Tiger Ultimate 81, they are very durable, only holds a little arch support, actually looks okay, you will never slip on dry surfaces and because of how the layer is worn down you can monitor treading habits to resolve bad patterns. The price, however, is pretty high though. I shipped them from USA to Denmark for about 100$ over a year ago because they were recommended to me by other parkour practitioners, now however I will never be able to afford them.

• 3 weeks later...
Reto Dahinden

At home I training barefoot, at gym with Vibram Five Fingers. Apart from training I wear Vivo Barefoots.

I've got some Merrel Barefoot, too but don't like them so much.

• 2 weeks later...
Charles Wright

I'll put in a second vote for the Feiyue's.  Inexpensive, lightweight, incredibly flexible, and have a good grip.  Downsides, they hold heat in the toes, so can get a little warm during the summer and the soles are a soft material that won't last forever.  However, they are < $20, so you can get a new pair every once in a while.  I was introduced to them from some guys I train parkour with who use them as their primary parkour shoe.

I love my vibrams, I bought them because I didn't want the weight of a shoe to throw my planche training, but then I started running in them.  SO much better.  No shin splints any more.

I wear them without socks, special or otherwise, and they're washing machine safe, so every few days I just through them in the machine and they're good to go.

• 2 weeks later...

During most of the year, I train barefoot in the garage.  When it becomes too cold to do so, I wear vibram 5 fingers, with socks.  These, of course, are specialized socks, but they are essential for keeping out the cold.  The socks also combat the odor!  I use vibram 5 fingers for running, too.  

To digress slightly, I wear Vibrobarefoot shoes to the office.