Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

korean dips

Hayden Whealing

Hayden Whealing

I have read that behind the neck pull ups are bad for your shoulders. Would this be the same for korean dips because your pressing behind your back?

Richard Duelley

What!? Why would behind the neck pull ups be bad for your shoulders? Its just a different plane of motion than a regular pull up. I guess it could be bad if you have REALLY bad shoulder mobility. I have been doing korean dips for an entire steady state cycle (8 weeks) without a problem and the only thing I have noticed is an increase in strength. :mrgreen: Although I have shown the korean dip to many people and 1 guy in particular said they caused him a lot of pain, but this was just due to the fact that his shoulder mobility was horrendous (he had serious bench press syndrome). He is also one of those guys, as Coach put it in the book, "extremely strong due to tight shoulders." He can do a back lever because thats the extent of his shoulder mobility. . . I have been think while I wrote this and I still cant see how either of these movements could be bad for you, if you follow the proper progressions that is.

behind the neck pull ups are harder on your shoulders... the top postion is the weakest postion for the shoulder (externally roatated and abducted) this is the position where most dislocations occur... i know some people that have done behind the neck pull-ups and have for years without pain... personally it is an added strain that is not worth the benifits for me... my shoulders take a lot of abuse wrestling... however, i do not think the same issue comes into play with korean dips as long as you have the flexibility and strength

• 1 month later...
Hayden Whealing
Although I have shown the korean dip to many people and 1 guy in particular said they caused him a lot of pain, but this was just due to the fact that his shoulder mobility was horrendous (he had serious bench press syndrome).

I think i read this in a weight lifting magazine where a lot of readers might have "bench press syndrome".

Joshua Naterman

LOL, i am suffering from something similar. If you take the time to strengthen and stretch the shoulder girdle and work up to it slowly, the behind the neck pull ups are good for you. If you do not have the flexibility and have not built up the right amount of strength in your rotator cuff muscles, then they could cause you problems. This is just like anything else. Nothing is inherently bad, except maybe crack. *laughs*

The korean dips are the same, you need the shoulder mobility and strength before you try these. Just because you can lift a lot of weight on a barbell does not mean you are ready for these dips. That's why the progressions in the book are what the are. You build up to this stuff.

Guest cccp21
LOL, i am suffering from something similar. If you take the time to strengthen and stretch the shoulder girdle and work up to it slowly, the behind the neck pull ups are good for you. If you do not have the flexibility and have not built up the right amount of strength in your rotator cuff muscles, then they could cause you problems. This is just like anything else. Nothing is inherently bad, except maybe crack. *laughs*

The korean dips are the same, you need the shoulder mobility and strength before you try these. Just because you can lift a lot of weight on a barbell does not mean you are ready for these dips. That's why the progressions in the book are what the are. You build up to this stuff.

************** By the way how do korean dips compare to parallel bar dips in difficulty? example if i can do 10 korean dips how many pb dips should i be able to do?

Brandon Green

Joshua Naterman

Unknown, for me. I can't do koreans, my shoulders aren't flexible enough yet. But I'm close! I can do a fair number of dips, I don't train for endurance so I poop out around 50. When I did actually care about high numbers I was doing 90-100 good dips. A lot of this stuff is strength in different positions, so I don't know how directly they translate in terms of how many of exercise A can I do when I can do 5 of exercise C. That depends on you and how you trained. The simple answer is more :)

Guest cccp21
Unknown, for me. I can't do koreans, my shoulders aren't flexible enough yet. But I'm close! I can do a fair number of dips, I don't train for endurance so I poop out around 50. When I did actually care about high numbers I was doing 90-100 good dips. A lot of this stuff is strength in different positions, so I don't know how directly they translate in terms of how many of exercise A can I do when I can do 5 of exercise C. That depends on you and how you trained. The simple answer is more :)

I have just found that korean dips are more diificult than normal dips. I can do about 50 normal dips and about 5 korean style!

Wonder how they compare to ring dips?

Brandon Green

Korean dips are somewhat similar to a RTO dip with the rings facing out so they are way turned out and the shoulders are in front of the rings.

Guest cccp21
Korean dips are somewhat similar to a RTO dip with the rings facing out so they are way turned out and the shoulders are in front of the rings.

**********How do korean dips(not on rings) compare to parallel bar dips? by a factor 2-1,3-1 or what?

or is there any such thing?

Brandon Green

Joshua Naterman

That's a good question, and I don't think there's a direct comparison.

For parallel ring dips to PB dips it's about 2:3. For RTO dips to korean it's probably similar.

Joshua Naterman

Huh. Well, there we go :P

I'm going to have to see how many ring dips I can do, because I am getting the feeling that i am not even close to that ratio.

Quite often in many the ratio is 2 PB dips for every 1 ring dip, sometimes 3 but this number gets down to about 2 ring dips for every 3 PB dips in people who are more seasoned on the rings.

Joshua Naterman
Quite often in many the ratio is 2 PB dips for every 1 ring dip, sometimes 3 but this number gets down to about 2 ring dips for every 3 PB dips in people who are more seasoned on the rings.

*goes off to find pepper*

• 1 month later...

All depends on your shoulder strength...While a normal dip is almost all triceps and some chest strength, Koreian dip is much more about shoulder strength. So i think there is no general comparison, because it's to much personal.

Guest cccp21

Ever done a weighted isometric hold at bottom as training method?

May be quasi iso?

Brandon

• 6 years later...
Alexander Castiglione

This thread is super old - but I was hoping to get some advice all the same. I was doing Korean Dips today (done them a bunch of times before), but I guess I got tired, and dipped lower than usual. Now my left delt, toward the front, is kind of tweaked. It's slowly gotten better since I did it at lunch, but I'm worried I'll be on the DL for a while when I wake up tomorrow. As soon as i got back to the office i iced it for 20 on 20 off, and took some IBProfen. Anybody else done something similar? If so, were you out for a while, or did you bounce right back? My mobility is pretty good, but I probably just didn't warm up enough this time, 

Alessandro Mainente

You told yourself the answer to your question. Why you didn't warm up properly ? ;):facepalm:

Alexander Castiglione
2 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

You told yourself the answer to your question. Why you didn't warm up properly ? ;):facepalm:

LOL yea, I facepalmed myself once I got off the bar, just wondering if anybody did something similar, and how they were out, or if they just avoided extension for a few days and were good to go. 

Alessandro Mainente

Be careful and warm up properly, when it is too late....it is too late, a good life lesson! stay calm for a couple of days and see how it goes.