Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What to do at the gymnasium when you're not ready?

Kate Abernethy

Kate Abernethy

Hello, I have great opportunity to attend 3hr sessions once a week in a fully equipped gymnasium. The sessions are 'do your own thing'.

I know I'm not ready for anything, but being there will be a great spur to my Foundation training. Apart from doing F elements that I am on which use rings and parallel bars, is there anything else I can do on the equipment that would be safe and have positive benefits? Thank you.

Keilani Gutierrez

doing senders was soooooo much fun. i had never played on a plyo floor and almost ate it a few times, so take care of not going too fast, too high with your feet close to each other after practicing L-R-L jumps :D (left foot lands and jumps, right foot lands next, etc)

jumping in the foam was fun too, got my fear of flipping (forwards) out of my system again. backwards, still yet to be conquered. :D 

getting on the ring tower + rope climbing was super fun for me, as was doing dips on an actual set of parallel bars. i felt like a rock star. 

have fun and stay safe :D

• Upvote 1

Basic swings and supports on the Men's equipment. Basic skills on balance beam for awareness. Basic tramp for awareness and fun and cardio.

PH: Basic straddle and single leg swings, around the world, circle work.

PB: Basic walk in support, swings in long and upper arm hang (heh- start off with just doing holds and chicken dips), basic swing in support to straddle cuts.

SR: Basic swings into skin the cat.

HB: Basic tap swings, work on casts. Circle work if you care to.

Tumbling: Basic fwd/backward rolls using wedges, cartwheels, HS and rolls out of or into. Plyo/Sender series.

Vault: Basic board drills developing on punching the board and front tuck/layout into pit or landing on a mat. It'll be board punching for awhile.

Tramp: Back bounces, seat drop, table drop, stomach drop, 1/2 and 1/1 turns. Shapes (tuck, straddle, pike). Butterfly and arm circle bouce. Transitions from stand to seat to table to stomach drops and back. Seat drop to back drop.

Tumbl-trak: Basic shape bounces and turns, knee drop to HS, flyspring entry to HS flatback on mats. 

Also, don't forget to do HULK JUMPS on tumbl-trak. Simply try to cover as much as height and distance as possible per bounce. Try not to die and fly out of control. Or fly out of control and die.

• Upvote 3

Keilani Gutierrez

Simply try to cover as much as height and distance as possible per bounce. Try not to die and fly out of control. Or fly out of control and die.

my goodness....this.  :D  :facepalm: lol

• Upvote 2

Kate Abernethy

Thank you Blairbob - I'm printing off that list! Perfect for acclimatising to the gymnastic environment and not looking like such a doofus on first visit.

Joshua Slocum

Also, don't forget to do HULK JUMPS on tumbl-trak. Simply try to cover as much as height and distance as possible per bounce. Try not to die and fly out of control. Or fly out of control and die.

An important technical note: when completing a set of HULK JUMPS is it necessary that you bellow with incoherent rage at the top of your lungs and smash the ground with your mighty fists. Failure to do so will result in a lack of progress over time. 

• Upvote 4

Klemen Bobnar

An important technical note: when completing a set of HULK JUMPS is it necessary that you bellow with incoherent rage at the top of your lungs and smash the ground with your mighty fists. Failure to do so will result in a lack of progress over time. 

And failure to then produce said jumps on video will result in an unliftable curse forever dooming you to SL/PE1.

Christian Sørlie

And failure to then produce said jumps on video will result in an unliftable curse forever dooming you to SL/PE1.

With PE2 as mobility

Jon Douglas

Do you have any idea who you are talking to?!

If I start getting quakes down in Oz I will know who to blame, Mr. Slocum.

(You. I'm blaming you.)

Kate Abernethy

OUCH! :-)

Kate Abernethy

Do you have any idea who you are talking to?!

If I start getting quakes down in Oz I will know who to blame, Mr. Slocum.

(You. I'm blaming you.)

You have a long memory Jon, I see I'll have to tiptoe quietly around you :-)

HOW'S DAT MANNA COMING ON?!

• Upvote 1

Jon Douglas

You have a long memory Jon, I see I'll have to tiptoe quietly around you :-)

HOW'S DAT MANNA COMING ON?!

Shut up shut up shut up shut up!

• Upvote 1

Timothy Aiken

Hulk jumps to a massive front tuck or barani (I prefer barani cause I can see the ground) once you get the front flip that is.