Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unable to lock arms.

Ponki

Hi guys,

I have a issue with elbow lock out and would like to know if anyone had the same problem and how one can address this?

Two points to mention:

1: My dads arms are also like this.

2: As long as I can remember my arms were like this. Thus its not a injury but rather I was born with them.

The reason I want to fix them is because of any pushing exercises. I can't do a wall run, shoulder taps or a handstand walk due to the elbow not locking. The moment all the pressure is transferred to the one arm then it collapses due to zero lockout and the fact that the tricep cannot hold all the weight alone.

I have seen the below thread but it seems that there is no solution to this problem?

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/5056-unable-to-lock-arms-out/

post-12243-0-38363700-1399187353_thumb.j

post-12243-0-76599600-1399187358_thumb.j

• Upvote 1

Coach Sommer

There is no solution to the short range of motion (ROM). In this instance as both you and your dad have it, I suspect this is simply your normal joint function.

For handstand work, you will simply need to get stronger. :)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

Jon Douglas

Hi guys,

I have a issue with elbow lock out and would like to know if anyone had the same problem and how one can address this?

Two points to mention:

1: My dads arms are also like this.

2: As long as I can remember my arms were like this. Thus its not a injury but rather I was born with them.

The reason I want to fix them is because of any pushing exercises. I can't do a wall run, shoulder taps or a handstand walk due to the elbow not locking. The moment all the pressure is transferred to the one arm then it collapses due to zero lockout and the fact that the tricep cannot hold all the weight alone.

I have seen the below thread but it seems that there is no solution to this problem?

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/5056-unable-to-lock-arms-out/

I hope you saw this comment in that thread;

The good news - While not the most aesthetic, elbows that do not completely straighten are a TREMENDOUS advantage when training intermediate to advanced ring strength elements.

:)

Thanks Coach.

And John thanks for that positive comment. I will keep my head up and just put in the hard work.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...