Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Getting into handstand without kicking

ChildInTime

ChildInTime

I want to learn this move: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfSLaCqTv7A#t=159 @ 2:40

I am not a gymnast, but I can already hold a handstand for 40~ seconds, and I want to be able to get into handstand on some higher objects.

Now I am currently training strength/bodybuilding style with 5 day split, each muscle once a week. I want to incorporate some exercises into my training routine to learn this move. I tried to do that on parallel bars but I don't see much progress.

I would like to get advice, on which exercises should I do and how often for maximum progress.

Thank you.

GoldenEagle

Getting into a gymnastic handstand, not just the "Banana" handstand that is shown in the video, without kicking up requires a lot of wrist, core, and shoulder strength. Plus wrist and shoulder mobility.

We need to see a video or several pictures of your handstand as it is before more knowledgeable forum members will give any exercise recommendations, besides start your training with the Handstand 1 course.

Jon Douglas

This is a bent arm press to handstand.

Work pushups from headstand to handstand; then try doing it without quite putting your head on the ground. Put your hands on the ground, get your hips over your hands (much easier when you can bend your arms) and muscle your way up. Tuck < straddle < pike < straight body (hollowback press) (same as straight arms, but the jump from pike to straight body is huge either way).

It's ugly, tbh. Straight arms and a straight body handstand looks much better, is far harder and builds incomparably better strength and moblity. The H1 course is an excellent road to this :)

ChildInTime

Now I am working on handstand pushups, but for me problem is not the pushup itself but lifting my body with legs into the air.

I of course would like to learn just like you said with straight arms and legs like here: 

But first step is to practice near the wall, but what's funny I cannot even do a single one near the wall, my legs and ass just won't lift up. I am quite fat in comparison to gymnasts so that does not help either.

Getting into a gymnastic handstand, not just the "Banana" handstand that is shown in the video, without kicking up requires a lot of wrist, core, and shoulder strength. Plus wrist and shoulder mobility.

We need to see a video or several pictures of your handstand as it is before more knowledgeable forum members will give any exercise recommendations, besides start your training with the Handstand 1 course.

Well it's just a matter of practice, and I try to not do "banana" handstand, but you won't fix that overnight. I am currently practicing handstands everyday for a 6 months now.

Jon Douglas

The wall HS leg lifts have two possible limiting factors-- lower back strength or flexibility. Lower back is straightforward to condition; lying rear leg lifts, reverse hypers, assorted planks etc. Once you've addressed that, it's easiest IME to use a mirror to see what's not lining up when you're against the wall. The closer your hips are to being over the top of your hands (or even further-- you can put your hands further from the wall if you need to) the more of a simple leg lift it will be. You could even elevate your feet on blocks or a bench like a bent arm box press to HS if you wanted :)

Jon Douglas

NB;

A perfect handstand is not just practise. For most of us it requires a whole lot of progressive mobility work and shoulder/wrist/bodyline preparation and refinement. This is why we are recommending H1; it's all rolled into one package there.

We don't really do things by halves around here, you may have noticed :)

• Upvote 4

ChildInTime

I see, I will definitely incorporate lower back exercises into my routine. I also do deadlifts and my max is 160x1, so it's strange that I cannot lift up just my legs alone.

And about H1 course, can I get it somewhere for free, or is it only when purchased?

GoldenEagle

Well it's just a matter of practice, and I try to not do "banana" handstand, but you won't fix that overnight. I am currently practising handstands everyday for a 6 months now.

Hmmm....Six months? That is nice. There are other members of this forum who have been "Practising" everyday for years. A few of them are professional hand balancers.

I see, I will definitely incorporate lower back exercises into my routine. I also do deadlifts and my max is 160x1, so it's strange that I cannot lift up just my legs alone.

And about H1 course, can I get it somewhere for free, or is it only when purchased?

If you can't buy it now, do to money issues, save up for it.

ChildInTime

Hmmm....Six months? That is nice. There are other members of this forum who have been "Practising" everyday for years. A few of them are professional hand balancers.

If you can't buy it now, do to money issues, save up for it.

Not sure why are you telling me this.  :)

Well I am want to learn handstand and similar stuff just for fun, obviously I am not paying money to learn that, especially that much. Thanks everyone.

GoldenEagle

Well I am want to learn handstand and similar stuff just for fun, obviously I am not paying money to learn that, especially that much. Thanks everyone.

You stated how long you have been "practising." So I told you that there are other forum members who have been "Practising" longer.

Have fun searching the public forums for the information you need. There is plenty of information to find on handstands in the "Balance" sub-forum.

Ivan Pavlovic

Bent arm press to handstand isn't hard move to learn. You dont have to buy anything, just start bodyweight training and you'll get what you want quickly.

ChildInTime

Bent arm press to handstand isn't hard move to learn. You dont have to buy anything, just start bodyweight training and you'll get what you want quickly.

Dude, I am doing body weight training for 6 months now, and not much progress apart from improved handstands. That's why I came here to ask for specific advice.

On you second point, you can learn any move by yourself pretty much, just matter of time and dedication.

Biren Patel

Good luck with your training :)

Short and powerful. Like Coach Sommer.

Edit: No, wait...that was not a joke about coach's height...I meant the brevity and spartan-esque nature of his speech and...uh, oops.

Ivan Pavlovic

Dude, I am doing body weight training for 6 months now, and not much progress apart from improved handstands. That's why I came here to ask for specific advice.

On you second point, you can learn any move by yourself pretty much, just matter of time and dedication.

Keep train and be patient and you will get it, as you say its just matter of time and dedication.

Alessandro Mainente

i don't think that this price is too much, think that if you look for a gymnastic facility they will not take you as a part of a team if you are old or at the beginning, so you cannot learn correct handstand. and probably they cannot solve mobility problem. and i'm saying that for experience since i know what the federation tells to you in the "learning lessons".

You can privately pay a coach but personal training i far more expensive compared to Hs1.

I'm not criticizing yous choice but if you do not have the necessary technical knowledge you will obtain low quality results and there is no online resource that provides the same amount of quality of Hs1.

ChildInTime

i don't think that this price is too much, think that if you look for a gymnastic facility they will not take you as a part of a team if you are old or at the beginning, so you cannot learn correct handstand. and probably they cannot solve mobility problem. and i'm saying that for experience since i know what the federation tells to you in the "learning lessons".

You can privately pay a coach but personal training i far more expensive compared to Hs1.

I'm not criticizing yous choice but if you do not have the necessary technical knowledge you will obtain low quality results and there is no online resource that provides the same amount of quality of Hs1.

I am 24, and I do handstands and handstand pushups just for fun. I have no intentions to go to gymnastic facility or anything of that sort, it's completely casual for me, so maybe price of HS1 (whatever it is) is not high for someone who is seriously into gymnastics, but of course not for me, I do it just for fun :)

Sascha Faltinger

the knowledge in handstand 1 is absolute unique published. i dont now where you live, but for me as german i would have paid more if it had cost more.

handstand 1 covers such great mobility and strength/alignment postures in it. really, take the chance and get professional information for a long time handstand journey. its so much more worth than what it costs. just think about how long you want to practice handstand... you will never be done with it, always improvimg and body awarness is constantly changing and growing. save your money for handsatnd 1 course. information that will speed up your handstand progress.

if i had the chance to train with a professional i would take. this course is the product of aprofessional written down. every cent worth.

really!!!

Alessandro Mainente

the age is not a problem, 100$ to save you from some possible injuries. bad position for gymnastic skills could result in bad posture.

• 2 weeks later...
ChildInTime

Okay read that handstand 1 book and that book is about a handstand, and is not related to what I was asking in this thread, aka how to best progress press into handstand as in the video. So apparently too much buzz about nothing  :(