Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Weak Scapula Retraction

Infamous123

Infamous123

Hey guys,

So as you can all see I'm new here; greetings to all.

Not 100% sure if this is the right place for this, I was considering putting it into movement rather than here but this is more in relation to strength rather than a mobility issue (but there is that too... Anyway, sorry to the mod who moves this to the right section in advance).

As my title suggests, I have a bit of problem with my scapula retraction! Specifically on my right side; most of my activities that I've done over the years have always involved a slumping forward of my right shoulder. I'm a right handed computer gamer, I play the saxophone, and I'm a right handed batsman in cricket. This has become more and more noticeable to me now that I have started doing some gymnastics exercises, as there is a requirement for some exercises to protract and retract. 

I can hold a full back lever ~10-12 seconds (palms down, of course), and can hold a one-legged front lever for ~5-6 seconds, however I have found the limiting factor in my front levers to be my scapula retraction on my right side; I feel the arm start to slip out the socket almost, and I can't keep my shoulder pinched back even though my left side does it with ease. Essentially, I'm after some exercises to strengthen my retraction, but specifically on my right side if possible. 

Thanks in advance,

EDIT: Found a thread already in existence that answers this question. That'll teach me to post without having a look first. Idiot. Sorry, mods feel free to delete.

• Upvote 1