Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is this program doable for an out of shape girl?

elin452

Hi everyone!

I've been eying the starter pack (with Foundation one and Handstand One) as I'm really interested in gaining functional strength. I'm a 26 year old woman, currently working and stuck at a desk job. I'm relatively slim (height: 5'10", weight: 135lbs) but I'm really out of shape. I tried fitness memberships, but the weight training and the machine training led to muscle imbalances and knee injuries. The downtime made me lose any gains I did have. It was disheartening to say the least. 

I have enough free time to get into shape, but the overload of methods out there confused me. Then I heard about this site and I always admired what gymnasts can do and how balanced their bodies are. The only thing is: I'm a fully grown adult without any gymnastic background and like I said, I'm really out of shape. To give you an idea:

- I can't do a proper push-up fully. I can only get down halfway before my arm muscles give up

- I don't have a lot of leg strength. Weighted squats are hard for me. (I can do the regular ones fine though)

- I can do a handstand against the wall, but my back is still arched a little bit and after holding it for 10 seconds my wrists start to hurt. 

- I can't do a pull-up. Like, at all. I'm the typical stereotype of that weak person who just hangs uselessly. 

- I can't do a lot of sit-ups. I'm embarrassed to say I'm having a hard time after 10. 

- I have EDS type 3 (Ehlers Danlos Syndrom, type hyperflexible, which means my joints are looser than most people's. I have very mobile shoulders for an instance. But my wrists are weak, as are my knees and ankles.  

The only thing I can do properly is a bridge, probably because of my back flexibility. I can't do a backbend or a front walkover or any of that, but my bridge is solid.

So is this programm out of my league? I'd really love to get strong, in a functional way. I know a lot of people are of the aim-for-the-sky mentality, but I tried that with the fitness membership and that didn't work out so well.  

I'm very disciplined so I can definitely stick to a program if believe it's going to get the results I want. I just don't have enough knowledge in this case to make the call. What do you think? 

Thanks in advance for your time! 

This program is exactly in your league. I have plenty of similar ladies in my classes, and they all are progressing and enjoying it.

• Upvote 3

That's great to hear! Do you have any tips to share, about how I should go about it? Pacingwise, I mean.

Oh, btw, do you need to have access to an actual gymnastics gym to do the exercises? There isn't one close where I live (about an 1,5 drive away) I have this old climbing rack in my backyard the previous house owners used for their kids. It's pretty sturdy. I can hang rings and a rope at the part where the swing used to be. I also have a couple of plyo mats. Would that be enough or do I need to get more equipment? 

Mikkel Ravn

Sounds like you've got a headstart on the mobility, but need to catch up on the strength. For many of us guys, the situation is the opposite, as some of us have major flexibility issues.

I think you'll do well, welcome!

Jon Douglas

Seems to me you have written a perfect description of someone who would thrive on this programming :)

You don't need a full gymnastics facility (although hey, if you have one you're ahead). There are several threads in getting started with general equipment requirements; floor space (mandatory!), a bar (anything overhanging), stall bars (can make do with a wall, fence, anchored bench, rail....) and rings (rope, straps, even a jiu jitsu belt for myself ^_^ ). In the F and H product fora there are more specifics and suggestions for improvised equipment where required.

Enjoy~

Edit;
Oh, and a couple of light dumbells for mobility work. I know at least one person here uses rocks or bricks for this :)

• Upvote 1

WitnessTheFitness

The first progressions are simple and straight-forward enough that pretty much anyone can work on them :)

Callum Muntz

Do it! Foundation is hands-down the best programmed training around.

And you do not need access to a Gym. There will come a point where it would help (provided the Gym has the required equipment) but there are numerous posts on the forums about home made equipment and alternatives. Where there is a will, there is a way.

The only other purchase I would make (besides Handstand 1 to complement Foundation 1) is a set of gymnastics rings which you can hang from any horizontal surface strong enough to support your weight.

I sincerely hope you pursue this type of training as I think the rewards will be immeasurable (aside from the obvious physical abilities :D).

Best of luck

- Callum

GoldenEagle

Just start already. A lot of questions you have now will be answered by reading the course material. If the answer isn't in the course material you will find it in the private forums you get access to when you purchase the corresponding material.

Be patient with yourself and have fun.