Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New around here, reasonable expectations?

EricMRussell

EricMRussell

Hey Guys! I'm Eric, I just wanted to say Hi. I found this forum after hearing Coach Sommer speak on Barbell Shrugged. I have always been a proponent of gymnastics (would have killed to be a gymnast when I was a kid), and bodyweight strength. However, until recently I never realized the importance of mobility. I started following KSTARR and MobilityWOD which has helped me be pain free and move so much better, which has led me to pursue "gymnastic" movements.  I've always been a strong lifter, but I want to improve my body weight skills. I also do a lot of weightlifting, as well as powerlifting and a little crossfit thrown in. My warmups often include Handstands (against the wall), handstand pushups, l sit holds, and a few other "gymnastic" movements. I would love to be able to do a strict muscle up, or 20 and I am actively training for it. (chest to bar pullups, rope climbing and a ton of rowing). I am a bigger individual, 6'3 and 225 pounds at roughly 10% bodyfat.  Am I at a disadvantage being as "big" as I am? Am I ever going to be capable of multiple strict muscle ups? I'd love to be able to do more, including handstand walking, and eventually an iron cross, as well as a ring muscle up to handstand pushup, is that realistic? 

GoldenEagle

All of your goals are realistic and the Gymnastic Bodies Curriculum teaches you how to master the positions needed in addition to developing the muscular and tendon strength your body will need.

The real training begins with Foundation1 and Handstand1.

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

What, handstand pushup on the rings?  Oof.

Yeah, we've got a few members as heavy as you around here.  They don't post very often, but as far as I know they're all still training.  Pretty sure some of them have either achieved, or have come close to achieving, all of your stated goals.

EricMRussell

Thanks GoldenEagle and Bipocni. I have never seen someone my size do a strict muscle up, or be very good with handstand pushups and other body weight movements, especially those requiring any amount of mobility. I'm hopeful I can overcome my size and be proficient at them in the future. Undoubtedly it will be a long process, but I don't mind slow progress as long as it is not towards an unreasonable goal.

• Upvote 1

Jon Douglas

Yep, what these guys said. It may take you a little longer, seeing as how more weight and reach calls for more caution with straight arm ring work, but no reason you shouldn't achieve all those goals if you put the work in :)

The 'problem' (I use this term loosely) with starting this stuff strong is that you more frequently find your body fighting itself when doing targeted mobility work. This is where you should spend the most time, especially initially. When you're stacking 100kg on your shoulders with disadvantaged leverage, you want to make sure you have the most efficient path through a movement, and that your joints and tissue can handle a wobble or slip here and there. So mobility/prehab is a priority for everyone, but even more so for the bigger guys.

Welcome aboard :)

Damon Amato

That's certainly motivating for me.  I'm 6'0", 210lb, 33 y/o.  Would love to be the guy in that video at some point.

Richard Hamilton

Don't worry about your size, I'm 6'4" and 205lb and have been making steady progress with Foundation and HS1. Trust in the process, rinse each element for all it's worth and good things will happen.

EricMRussell

Duff that is an inspirational video! Thanks for posting that. It's really awesome to see someone my size actually able to do the movements so well.

• 1 month later...
EricMRussell

Hey Guys! just an update... I have been really working on a lot of strict ring and bar work (i.e Strict pullups, windshield wipers, l pullups, L sit holds, body weight rows etc) and have seen great progress. I have also been working on band assisted muscle ups, and am up to 10 sets of 3 reps using a pretty light band. I have been doing a lot on overhead work as well, yoke carries, wall handstand holds, and even some freestanding handstand holds. so far so good. Ive got a bit of tightness in my left shoulder, anybody have a really good mobility/prehab drill specifically for shoulder abduction, both horizontal and vertical?

Connor Davies

i don't know about specifically for abduction, but dislocates are the best shoulder mobility/prehab drill I know off....

• Upvote 1