Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beginner Rings training

AvivHalevy

Hi, everyone my name is Aviv Halevy and I just bought olympics rings.

And I no idea how to train with them... I almost can do a straddle planche on them. I came from street workout, more correctly I am the street workout champion in israel. I train 2-3 years with only body weight exercise, I have a good base for this stuff and I want to do all the crazy exercise a specially victorian :P

Can you guys can give me some routines and tips for training with rings and how to get those exercise , full planche, victorian , iron cross and a handstand.

here is a pic of me doing straddle planche on rings 

Alessandro Mainente

The straddle planche is not quite good as you think, the arms are bent , there is low protraction and the lower back is arched, sot his is not correct. this lack of strength and muscles activation probably reflects some gaps in your physical preparation, wrong planche and lock out does not prepare enough the elbows for iron cross. for this reason you should not include iron cross and straddle planche / full planche in your training. since victorian training is a part of schedule to balance the planche maltese work (that for now are too advanced for you) you do not need to train it, and focus on solid front lever.

for the handstand, Coach Sommer developed the best online program available than is Handstand 1. For the bases you need to develop in order to obtain the maximum benefits from rings strength training you have to look for Foundation 1-2-3-4.

The straddle planche is not quite good as you think, the arms are bent , there is low protraction and the lower back is arched, sot his is not correct. this lack of strength and muscles activation probably reflects some gaps in your physical preparation, wrong planche and lock out does not prepare enough the elbows for iron cross. for this reason you should not include iron cross and straddle planche / full planche in your training. since victorian training is a part of schedule to balance the planche maltese work (that for now are too advanced for you) you do not need to train it, and focus on solid front lever.

for the handstand, Coach Sommer developed the best online program available than is Handstand 1. For the bases you need to develop in order to obtain the maximum benefits from rings strength training you have to look for Foundation 1-2-3-4.

about the straddle planche I know its not my best, this pic is the first time I try this exercise on rings. about the back and the ellbow I really have a problem about this. you have some tips for that? how to keep my ellbow lock and back straight?

and what should I train now? dips, pull ups? how much you have a routine for my level to give me?

GoldenEagle

The beginner's ring training on this website, doesn't start until after you complete Foundation 1-4.

If your forward lean is the problem, start doing planche leans again to fix your scapular protraction, scapular depression, and serratus anterior weaknesses. While you are at it work on developing the strength of your tendons so that your body is prepared for all of the gravitational force your body experiences. 

To be honest, You are on the wrong web forum if you expect us and or think we are just going to spoon feed you all the answers to all of the questions that you may have because of some alleged championship. Put your ego in the closet and start with basics of real Gymnastic Strength Training™. If you have to save up and buy all four foundation courses at once. (About 943 ILS / 270 USD)

• Upvote 1

That is not a legit straddle planche as the arms are bent which makes a big difference in difficulty even if the bend is very little. I will say to go back to a lower progression where you can maintain locked arms with. You should consider looking into the Foundation courses.

Riku Calderón

This is the straight answer you were looking for!

We here in this forum follow Coach Sommers advise. So we understand one thing. There is no beginner ring training.

Ring training belongs to those who are adwansed beginners and have mastered F1-4.

You have done really good job this far. Now it is time to fix everything properly and start from the beginning. If you are as good as I think. You will progress moderatly fast.

Good luck on your journey!

• Upvote 1

Daniel Burnham

Hi, everyone my name is Aviv Halevy and I just bought olympics rings.
And I no idea how to train with them... I almost can do a straddle planche on them. I came from street workout, more correctly I am the street workout champion in israel. I train 2-3 years with only body weight exercise, I have a good base for this stuff and I want to do all the crazy exercise a specially victorian :P
Can you guys can give me some routines and tips for training with rings and how to get those exercise , full planche, victorian , iron cross and a handstand.

here is a pic of me doing straddle planche on rings 

Im going to try and give you something constructive.  It seems you need to work on straight arm work.  The difference between bent arm planche and straight planche is pretty big and feels even bigger on the rings.  The best advice I can give you for building straight arm strength is to start working it with the foundation series here.  That gives you the basics and prepares the shoulders and elbows for that kind of work.  Then after you can do at least what is laid out up to foundation 2 you can start on rings 1.  I like coach recommend actually finishing through foundation 4 before starting rings because it will accelerate training.

Now all these things have a money back guarantee. So if you get the foundation series and feel its just too easy and doesn't give you any benefit you can return it.  I recommend you actually try it first :)  

Iron cross, victorian and the like may take years of dedicated straight arm strength and trying to skip ahead usually leads to disastrous results.

• Upvote 2