Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Foundation prerequisites for muscle up training

Kate Abernethy

Kate Abernethy

Hello, having seen a number of women do muscle ups on YouTube I am wondering at what point one could start having a go? E.g. When RC PExx and HBP PExx are mastered.

I.e the point where Coach knows the tendons/muscles/etc are ready for it.

Mikkel Ravn

Muscle ups are not that hard to perform on rings. It's more a matter of getting anything out of the training - I'm able to do three-four reps as a party trick, but it feels more like a strain, than as an exercise that contributes to my overall strength. But, yes, it's nice to be able to do them, and I'd say that once you're past the F2 hpb and RC, you should be able to get a couple reps fairly easily.

Mikkel Ravn

I did no special training for them, just practiced high pullups on rings a few times, really focusing on getting into low gear, and pulling the rings under the armpits, with an exaggerated false grip. If you've been training HS/PE2>iM with 4-7 kg, this should come quite easily for you.

Edit: muscle ups have never been comfortable to me. Always left me with a sort of forearm splint feeling, whenever I trained them; obviously I was underprepared, so now I'll just wait until they show up in the curriculum. That's easy to say when you know that you can do them already. I definitely understand why you're curious to give them a go. That's ok, as long as you're diligent with foundation, you should be able to get them through post-workout play.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

Suggested is Foundation 4. i've experimented zero forearms problem after a decent RC mastery.

• Upvote 2

Kate Abernethy

Thank you Alex, and Coach for the endorsement of F4 RC as the prerequisite. I'll put my head back down below the parapet :-)

Mark Collins

Thank you Alex, and Coach for the endorsement of F4 RC as the prerequisite. I'll put my head back down below the parapet :-)

I have the rings program, but will not start it until F4 is done. I do play around with false grips once a week, but nothing formal. Although I was tempted to start, I trust Coach and will wait until I am ready. As the muscle up is not even a grade in rings it is strange how much people want to do it. I was the same and got it kipping and am thankful I didn't hurt myself in the process.

I still watch the rings videos often as it reinforces where I am headed and it motivates me to push harder in Foundation. There is much more exciting exercises that make the muscle up seem like nothing.

• Upvote 5

WitnessTheFitness

Maybe I am an oddball, but it took me a loooooong time to be able to do muscle ups. I could do one armed pullups, and weighted dips with 180 lbs, yet still couldn't do the transition on the muscle up. Even after focusing on it for a couple months, I'd always get completely stuck at the transition. Then one day the motion just clicked in my brain, and hasn't been an issue since. The mind works in mysterious ways.